Monday, January 26, 2015

July 9, 1966 The Beans, The 100 Rolls and The Little Chair


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"There isn't much news but we were glad to have your letter today. We are still eating vegetables out of your garden and enjoying them. I cooked the beans the afternoon we got home and that was most of our supper.


I haven't bought much at the grocery store this week--except toilet paper. That sounds funny but it was sort of a joke on me. They advertised Scott on sale for 10¢ and that is as cheap as we ever buy it. I told B I was going to buy a case and he said we'd probably get 48 rolls but that was fine. When I started to pay for it I learned there were 100 rolls in the case but I took it anyway.

It has been so hot this week but is a little better now. We really need rain.

B has been swamped with work this week and didn't even get home at lunch time two days.

Tomorrow we are going to take Ann & a friend to Chicago for the day. We'll just window shop and let them look at whatever they want to see.

I've been sanding on the little chair but there is still a lot to do. The legs are all done and part of the back and seat. I haven't had time to figure up and order the inlay but think it is going to take the narrowest strip in the catalog.

I have to clean some shoes so I'd better say bye and do it."

                    Lots of love,

                        Bonnie

NOTE:  Thanks to http://chuckmancollectionvolume12.blogspot.com/ for sharing the great postcard of State Street in Chicago!

NOTE:  There was never a written recipe for the green beans, but they were slow cooked with a barbeque-like sauce of brown sugar, red wine vinegar, catsup, bacon, large chunks of smoked ham and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!