Sunday, September 28, 2014

October 17, 1964 The Leaves, The Reading, The Material, The Golf and The Big Crowd



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is a wonderful summer-like day.  The leaves are all colors now and really falling fast.  I hope we can get them raked before they get wet.  I have a very few scraggly mums but the frosts have taken every thing else outdoors.  The little marigold Daddy dug for me dried up in spite of all I could do.  It looked all right at first.  Then the leaves wilted & dried but it bloomed until the stems were brown.  I guess the water kept the blooms opening but it looked so queer.  Did you ever see an elephant ear bloom?  I have one in the house and it has the queerest flower--a little like a Jack-in-the-pulpit.

I've done a lot of reading this week when I should have been doing other things, I guess.  When I start a book it is just too bad--if it's a good book.  We had stopped our book club membership & didn't plan to join one but I was tempted too much.  My first book was about Albert Schweitzer & was real interesting.  A bonus book was Ernie Ford's hymn book.

B spent two days in Urbana this week at a meeting but came home at night.  I thought it would be easier for him to stay over there but he didn't want to and of course, I was glad.  He's been puttering around the car today.

This morning Ann & I went to Bloomington and got material for a dress. She decided against a suit but got green wool for a dress.  She wants it made rather plain so it shouldn't take too long.

I've worked on a shirtwaist for myself this week & it would be done if I hadn't read so much.  After I've sewed & sewed I get so tired of it I have to stop for awhile or I start making mistakes.

Bob is out playing golf.  They have had some instruction in gym & he thinks he's learned quite a lot.

The Faculty Women's Club had its fall dinner Wed. night. There was a big crowd but I don't know many of them anymore.  We have over 100 new ones this year & the same last year.

Hope both of you are fine."

                         Lots of love,

                                Bonnie


NOTE:  For more on Schweitzer and related book reviews:  http://home.pcisys.net/~jnf/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!