Saturday, May 31, 2014

September 21, 1962 The First Frost, The Black Suit, The Made-Over Dress and The Small Fortune


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We had our first frost this morning but the sun is bright.  Last Sunday was so hot and then the temperature dropped & it's been cool enough for the furnace to come on.

Bob is home for lunch.  He has to come at 11:00 and it isn't very handy.  Seems like I don't get anything done in the morning before he is here for lunch.  He always has a few minutes to study before he goes back for his noon class.  He does most of his homework at school & doesn't seem to work very hard in the evening.  He wishes he'd taken another class but didn't know how busy he'd be.

I think I finally have the black suit ready to wear.  At least I'm going to try to wear it tonight to a dinner.  I had to rework the skirt again but maybe it will be all right this time.

I wore my made-over dress to the Pen Women tea last Sunday & it looked real nice.  At least, I didn't waste my time on that one.  B & I also went to a reception for new high school teachers after I got home.  I had to leave the Pen Women meeting early so we could go but that didn't matter.  Last night I went to a meeting of the League of Women Voters.  I am not going to join it but they have asked me to go so many times that I finally went last night.  They study government (local, state & national) & it is a good group but it's too much work for me now.  I'd learn a lot but I just don't have time.

I finally got the kitchen cabinets and windows washed but haven't done anything to the floor.  That is always a full day's job.

We haven't had any water in the basement since that bad time right after we had the basement done.  We added dirt around the foundation and B put some plastic extensions on the drain pipes.  It carries the water away from the house.  They stay rolled up next to the pipe & the water pushes them out when it rains.  Then we have to roll them up again.  We think they have helped.

I haven't any new writing started but keep hoping to get started again.  Is Ida selling copies of her book herself?  She said something about selling it herself but I didn't know what she meant.  Why doesn't she ask the Mirror or another small paper if they would print it for her--not in their paper, but copies of it.  I should think it would be cheaper than having each copy typed.

Now that it is getting cold we're going to have to buy the kids more clothes.  Ann has to have a coat and Bob needs shirts & pants.  It has cost a small fortune to get them started in school this year without any extras.  Books are so high & then there is insurance & a dozen other things.  Course, I'm glad we can do it but it shocks you when you figure how much it takes.

Our radio cabinet hasn't come yet so I wrote about it yesterday.  I don't know why they are so slow.

Hope you both are fine."

                       Lots of love,

                              Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!