Saturday, May 3, 2014

March 5, 1962 The Pussy Willows, The Handbills, The Carpenter, The Important Moment and The President's Announcement



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I don't know where the time has gone this week.  Ann and I have both had colds and she has been out of school again.  She seems all right today and went to Sunday School.  So I suppose she will be able to go to school tomorrow.  She has gone to play with a friend this afternoon.



B has gone to Chicago for a meeting and will be gone till Wednesday.

It is a little warmer today but snow was predicted.  The pussy willows look like they would pop open if they had some sunshine & warm weather.  I keep thinking I'll cut some to put in water but the yard is so muddy I haven't tried to get any.

Yesterday was kind of busy & that's one reason I'm so late with my letter.  Normal had an election Monday & the Scouts delivered some handbills for that so I had to take Bob out real early.  Then he had a dental appointment.  I had to get some cookies to some church girls for a bake sale.  B had a meeting & a luncheon at school, I went to a tea & then we both went to a dinner.  In the middle of it all some men came from a lumber yard to talk about doing some work in the basement.  We have decided to have a room fixed up down there.  We began to talk about the basement one day (the kids were always bringing it up) so B called the lumberyard to see what they would do.  I've never seen such fast action.  Those men came out, made some plans, brought out a carpenter & then made their bid.  The carpenter is supposed to start work tomorrow.  I can't quite believe that he will.  Most of them are terribly slow at starting anything.  Anyway, he will get started soon.

Thanks so much for the birthday money.  I tucked it away & will spend it for something I want.  There will be a lot of things I'll probably want in the basement.  I had a nice birthday and had lots of cards.  Neither Ann nor I felt good with our colds so we didn't celebrate--not even with a cake.

I hope Jerry is all right and takes care of himself.  I know how the kids hate to miss school.

Margaret Mead talked about courtship and marriage--a topic chosen for her student audience.

Yes, B & the kids saw John Glenn take off.  They must have had every T.V. at school on but that was an important moment.  The president's announcement about the resumption of testing distresses me but he had no choice.  We'd just be sitting ducks--targets for anyone if we don't keep up with Russia's tests.

I must stop & get this in the box before pick-up time or it will be another day late.  Hope you both are fine."

                         Lots of love,

                                 Bonnie

NOTES:  For the text of JFK's address on nuclear testing:  http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=9084


The regularly scheduled meetings in Chicago were for the Illinois agency responsible for overseeing the state universities.  Proceedings always included the university's reports of personnel, curriculum, budget, building and expansion plans and enrollment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!