Sunday, April 6, 2014

September 3, 1961 The Mess, The Big Doll, The Invitation to Nigeria and High Tomatoes


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I had a hard time finding room to put my paper so I could write to you.  We have the kitchen cabinets all emptied so we can paint inside & our house is a mess.  Everything is piled around & sure looks terrible.  The kitchen will look pretty & clean when we get thru but it is such a job.  I started on it Monday but have had so many interruptions that it seems to be dragging out too long.  B helped me some today & we hope to finish the painting on Monday.  Then I'll paper the soffit.  We were lucky for there is a roll of the paper here & its a wonder we saved it all this time but we did.

Bob had a friend here to stay all night Monday so I got him supper.  Then Phyllis called me & said they were coming Tuesday so I couldn't paint then.  We were so glad they could come because we hadn't seen the baby at all and she's almost a year old.  She is the one they named for me & she is just a big doll.  She has curly auburn hair & brown eyes & she smiles all of the time.  The little boy is 2½ & has bright red hair.  He is cute too & kept us laughing.  It has been a long time since we'd had real little children around for very long.  They were here for dinner and supper but they are easy to feed.  Phyllis still calls us Mama & Daddy Belshe & teaches her children to say it too.

Bob got more of his braces Wednesday & is just fine.  Ann had her first piano lesson for the fall on Tuesday but I couldn't go with her because of our company.  She came home happy & has started her practicing without fussing.

The silly duet every kid knows, Aug. 29, 1961
The U.S. Office of Education called B this week & wanted him to go to Nigeria (Africa) to do some education work but he told them "no".  I wouldn't want to go to Africa, now anyway.

I'm glad Daddy liked the jacket.  It was the only thing I could think that he might need & seems like a light jacket is always handy.

Beulah did write me and I'm so glad she has been to a Dr. that could do something for her.  Maybe she'll fatten up a little now.

Friends have been giving us tomatoes so we haven't had to buy many but they are 10¢ a lb. anyway.  I think that's high when so many go to waste.

I must study my S.S. lesson so I'd better say bye.  Hope you both are fine."

                            Lots of love,

                                   Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!