Thursday, April 10, 2014

October 1, 1961 Almost Midnight, The President's Speech and Growing Corn to Music


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's almost midnight but I went to bed at 8:30 last night instead of writing this and haven't had a chance to do it today.  We had 17 people here for a coffee this afternoon so I spent all day on that.  In fact, most of my week has been spent making cookies.  It poured rain so only about half came.  Now we have cookies for most of next week.  The kids are delighted.  I had asked a college girl to come & help in the kitchen but she got sick so B & I washed dishes & cleaned up after everyone left.  By that time it was time to go to the football game.  It was pretty cold out tonight but we soon warmed up after we got home.


I wish we had some of your tomatoes and sweet potatoes.  We had some baked with a pork roast last Sunday & they were so good.  They were about 15¢ a piece.  Isn't that an awful price for a potato of any kind?

I didn't hear the President's speech but there has been a lot in the paper about it.  Some people liked it & some didn't.  I haven't watched T.V. in a long time.  Our friend, George Smith, who is experimenting with corn growing to music, is supposed to be on the Today Show on Monday.  I'd like to see it but probably won't get to.

Ann started her flute lessons again today but she doesn't care much about practicing so I don't know how long they will last.

Beulah's birthday is Tuesday but I'll be late with her package.  I looked for something for her last week but didn't find anything.

I must go to bed or I'll be too groggy to teach Sunday School tomorrow.  Hope you both are fine."

                    Lots of love,

                          Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!