Tuesday, March 25, 2014

May 13, 1961 The Wonderful Day, The Industrial Arts Exhibit, The Gingham Dress and The Lilacs


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It has been a wonderful day.  We've had the doors open and the windows that have screens.  I don't know when we'll get the screens on the other windows but it's time to do it at last.  I got out in the yard and didn't get back in very soon--ended up by pulling a basket full of weeds and planting some petunias.

Ann didn't feel good today so she stayed home from school.  She feels better now.  They had a program yesterday and a party for their parents.  Bob' room has a play next Monday.


Buddy called last Sunday while we were gone to a tea but Bob talked to him.  Then he called back Tuesday, I think it was, at supper time.  He was working and just called to visit.  It was nice to talk to him and I guess they really enjoyed the Passion Play.  There was a picture in the paper of some of the women from their group so I sent it to them.

We have been to an industrial arts exhibit at school  Bob & his friends all got white ribbons (3rd) on their copper pictures they entered but I think that is good for the whole state.

My gingham dress is all done and I've worn it.  It turned out real nice but isn't anything extra special.  I had so much trouble with it.  I finally had to rip the black trim off the first blouse I made & put it back on the embroidered skirt.  I have had lots of compliments on it but it sure wasn't worth all the work.

This has been an easier week then the past several.  We didn't have to go so much but I've been making cookies for our tea next week.

I think it would be nice if you went to Aunt Jane's and I don't see why you couldn't go.

Sunday is Mothers' Day and I wish we could be home.  I hope your package gets there on time.  We'll be thinking of you and hope both you and Daddy have a nice day.

Bob has been delivering papers 3 or 4 days a week.  Denny is on the track team at school and practices after school.  I was glad he got to do this for he just never gets to do anything after school.  Bob is happy to earn the money & help Denny but I'm sure glad he doesn't do this all of the time.  They never have time for anything else.

My neighbor gave me a beautiful bunch of lilacs today & they smell so good.  She also gave me a young red lilac to plant.  I hope it grows & it looks like it would.

The plaster in the study has started falling where we had that leak in the roof & didn't know it was there.  I called a man today to come and patch it and we discovered that our insurance will cover it.  We were glad about that.  We're still getting water in the basement when it rains hard.  I don't know what we can do about it.

I must stop & pin up my hair.  It is getting so long it doesn't stay up very well."

                         Lots of love,

                              Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!