Thursday, March 13, 2014

March 18, 1961 The Big Ironing, The Program for Pen Women and Getting Really Excited


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Believe it or not, I'm going to get this one written on time.  This has been some week.  It seems like we have all been going in a run.  Several things came up that we had to do but hadn't planned on and we've been trying to find time to organize our plans for the trip.  Every spare minute I can find I have used to read the things the class is reading so I'll know a little about the things we will be seeing.

I have been to two luncheons and a birthday party for one of the secretaries in B's office.  She retires this year so it was sort of special since she has worked at school for so many years.

Ann and I got our second typhoid shot Wed. morning.  They sure make your arm sore.  B & Bob will get theirs tomorrow.

I had such a big ironing that I cancelled a meeting yesterday afternoon & spent the time ironing.  Then I ironed after supper & most of today to finish it.  I won't have but one or two pieces to do before our trip.

The President and his family came over Tues. evening to show us the slides they took last year when they went to the Bahamas.  We had wanted to get together but his time was all full.  Then a meeting was cancelled so he told B they would come over.  I had been gone all afternoon & the house was messy but we all did a quick clean up and were reading the paper when they came.  They are such nice people and they wouldn't care of course whether the house was clean or not.

I have to give a program at a luncheon for Pen Women Sunday.  I didn't want to do it but they wanted me to talk on my plays & read one & I couldn't get out of it.  There are only two of us in the group that write plays.  Some write stories or poems & some are artists.

We are all fine and getting really excited about our trip.  Monday night we meet with all the students for last minute instructions.  Then we leave here at 9:00 A.M.  Wednesday.  Don't bother to answer this letter or to write us along the way.  Telephone us if you need us.  We will write often but it probably will be postcards.  I think we're going to be kept pretty busy.

I hope you both are fine and you'll probably hear from us about next Saturday."

                                    Lots of love,

                                         Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!