Saturday, February 8, 2014

September 24, 1960 The Beautiful Autumn Days, The Letter, The Big Church Supper and The Work-Out




Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We've been having the most beautiful autumn days.  Things are green again after the rain and a few leaves are beginning to turn.  I still haven't had a chance to work in the yard.  We want to get a load of dirt to put around the foundation.  It has settled in places--especially in front where the men dug for the porch footings--and we're getting some seepage in the basement.  B got a box of the latex cement to patch the driveway & I think he plans to use some of that in the basement too.

I must tell you about Ann's letter before I forget it.  She wrote a birthday letter to Princess Ann and then we forgot about it, but she had a nice letter from the Queen's Lady in Waiting the other day.  Ann just about popped.


Edna is beginning to feel a little better but still can't go outdoors.  Woody's vacation comes in Nov. and they are going to California to see how things look there for her.  They don't know what way to turn but she can't go through this every summer.  This year was worse than last.  She is well enough now to talk on the phone and read.  She hasn't had enough strength to hold a magazine and her eyes were so blurred she couldn't read anyway.

B is working again today but hopes this will be the last Sat. the office has to stay open for awhile.  He finished the cabinet around the dishwasher last Sunday.  It is all painted and I think it does save a lot of time.

Our big church supper is coming up so the committee has spent two afternoons on the plans and I've spent a lot of time by myself on it.  I'm chairman this year and I'll be glad when it's over.  It seems like I've been on the phone almost constantly since last Sunday when we started talking about it.

Faith Larsen had a coffee one morning this week and I went to that.  The chairman of our department had a garden party to introduce the new teachers in our department.  It was Sunday night & they asked us to help.  I poured punch and really had a work-out.  There were 280 people at that party.  It was a real nice affair but I wouldn't know the new people if I saw them.  There isn't any chance to get acquainted or even talk to anyone in a crowd like that.

Dennie Stuart's dog got hit by a car last Sat. & was mangled so badly they had to put him to sleep.  Bob went with them on Sun. & they bought a pup.  Now Bob's begging for one but I don't want one.  Watterson's dog hurt his back some way and can't walk.  They are having an awful time with him and are afraid they'll have to dispose of him.

I'm going to a luncheon today so I'd better get a few things done."

                       Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

NOTE:  The presidential election of 1960 was making more headlines than anything else.  Bonnie started saving magazines and newspaper clippings of the campaign, the election, and the presidency.  I'll share more about that collection later.  The first televised debate was on Sept. 26, 1960 and pre-empted The Andy Griffith Show.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!