Tuesday, January 14, 2014

April 2, 1960 The Wonderful Spring Day, The Pussy Willows, The Tree Cutting and A Fancy Affair



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"At last I can say it is a wonderful spring day.  We have had only one other real warm day but the tulips are up and crocuses are blooming around town.  If tomorrow is nice I hope to clean off some flower beds and B has been working on the screens.  He is painting them before he puts them up.

I finally got some pussy willows.  They are just beautiful this year.  I'd start you one if I thought I could keep it growing till summer but I'm afraid we couldn't transplant it in July.

The tree cutting has started around town again.  There are hundreds of them with orange checks painted on them to show they are dead.

We went to a dinner party last night and are going to a faculty dinner at school tonight.  It is to be a fancy affair and I want to look for a dress this afternoon but doubt if I can find one.

Ann is going to a birthday party and B has to go to a meeting at school.  The kids will have a week's vacation beginning next Friday.  I hope the weather is nice.

Ann wants an Easter dress but I haven't even thought about it yet.

There just isn't any news so I'll stop and write a note to Beulah."

                             Lots of love,

                                   Bonnie

Apparently opened by the wrong Clyde, who was kind enough to explain!


NOTE:  Tree populations in many Illinois towns were completely devastated by Dutch Elm Disease by 1960 and this includes Bloomington-Normal.  Streets that were once lined with them seemed bare and parts of town never looked the same despite re-planting of hardier species.  For more information:  http://web.extension.illinois.edu/forestry/publications/pdf/forest_health/UIUC_Dutch_Elm_Disease.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!