Saturday, December 7, 2013

September 12, 1959 A Baby and A Box of Potatoes, Ripping Up An Old Bedspread, A Ten Mile Hike and Real Hard Work

7 mo. old baby Mark
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I'm a little late this week but we have had company.  Phyllis & her husband & baby came yesterday afternoon & just left.  Bob & Ann just loved the baby to pieces.  He is awfully cute--7 months old and real good.  They brought us a big box of potatoes. 

I went out to Smith's yesterday and got vegetables.  They have such nice things & the tomatoes are even better than last year.  I should can some but I don't know when I could do it.

Our church basement isn't finished yet but we are going to have Sunday School tomorrow anyway.  I don't know what Ann will wear for I haven't sewed a stitch for her yet.  There have been too many little extra things to do this week.  The kids both had to have new shoes & it took two trips to Bloomington for that.  I tried to find curtains for the upstairs bathroom but will have to make them.  I'm ripping up an old bedspread & will use it if there is enough material & I think there is.  The colors are perfect & better than anything I can find so I'll make them.

Bob went on a camping trip with scouts this week so was gone two days.  They hiked ten miles on one of the hottest days & I worried about it but they sure had a big time.  It didn't hurt them a bit but I thought it awful to hike when the sun was so hot.

The weather has really changed.  It is snappy & fall-like now.  It is a wonderful change.

We have hardly seen Sorensens lately.  Edna still can't get out but Woody goes to school, of course.  He had to be in N.Y. this week about the book he is writing.  His brother had a stroke but he had had 2 cancer operations before so we aren't sure what caused his death.  He was the oldest one so was pretty old.  He had been Attorney General of Nebraska but I don't know when.

Our bath is all done except for a little trim strip that we had to order special.  It really looks nice & I think we did a good job.  All of us did a little work on it--even the kids but I'm like Daddy.  It is real hard work.

I must get busy.  I have to get ready for my S.S. kindergarten so bye for now."

                            Lots of love,

                                    B & Bonnie

NOTE:   Christian Sorensen, Woody's brother, was Attorney General of Nebraska from 1929-1933.

Christian's son was Ted Sorensen, political strategist, counselor to JFK and Woody's nephew. 


2 comments:

  1. Hard to believe it's been 50 years since JFK was shot.
    I remember where I was at the timeI heard about it. Much like I remember where I was when Elvis died and Princess Diana was killed in that awful car accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is hard to believe. The only letter (at least that I'm aware of at this point) Mom saved from my grandmother was the one written to Mom after the assassination of JFK.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!