Thursday, December 12, 2013

October 17, 1959 The Week of Weeks, The Harvest Home Supper, The Paper Boy and the Pitiful Old Soul



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We've been having some beautiful days after all the rains and the maples are beginning to turn.  The dead elms spoil the looks of things everywhere, though.  We are lucky that we have the two ash trees in front.  My mums are beginning to bloom but won't be as nice as last year because so many of them died last winter. 

This has been the week of weeks for being busy.  B and I went to the church last Sunday afternoon to help set up tables for our church supper.  It took almost all afternoon.  The kids were home on Monday because of a teachers' meeting but it was a hectic day.  Bob had a scout meeting and there were kids in and out all day.  Our church supper was Tuesday night so I worked down there from 9:00 to 9:00.  Everyone pitched in and helped and we made about $500.  It is the most they have ever made so we are all very happy about it.  We went back to the church and cleaned up the kitchen Wednesday.

Out potluck group meets here tomorrow night and I planned to have my house all ready by now but it isn't.  I started taking plastic off the bathroom floor yesterday morning and still haven't finished.  It had turned so yellow that it looked dirty all the time & I thought it would come right off.  Now that it is started,  I will have to finish it.

Today is Etta's birthday so I baked a cake and am going to take her out to Toni's for awhile this afternoon.  She is a pitiful old soul.


Bob is helping a paper boy deliver papers now.  He has been going with him every evening to learn the route but will only help on Thurs. and Sunday after this week.  Those are the days when the paper is extra large.  He gets 50¢ for every day that he helps and if the boy is gone and he has to deliver the papers alone then it is a dollar a day.  I don't know how long he'll stay at it but I guess it is good for him.

This is Saturday.  We went to the President's house last night for a chili supper.  They invited all the new unmarried teachers so there was a houseful of new faces.

Tomorrow we have a teachers' workshop at church that will begin at 1:00 and last till about 8:00.  We are even having supper down there.  There is another meeting I'd like to go to tomorrow but can't because of this church thing.  I have been accepted as a member of The National League of American Pen Women and they meet in Bloomington tomorrow.  They meet in different places in the state once a month.  I won't get to attend many meetings because of the Sun. meetings but they have been after me to join for a long time.  The application blank was so involved that I was afraid they wouldn't take me but they did.  It had to be approved by the state organization & then by the national headquarters in Washington, D.C.

I enjoyed the clipping about Charlotte but why did she do that judging?  What kind of job did they give her at school?  I hope she keeps liking it and I know she will.

I must get to work so bye for now."

                      Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ann looking at the pictures reminded me of an Aussie movie called Outback Bound which starred Donna Mills and Colette Mann. Donna was a pampered Beverly Hills woman who tries to find her father's opal mine in outback Australia. She meets Collette Mann's character and asks 'How do you all stay so fit?' The answer...housework of course. Not to be overlooked for keeping one in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I need to find that movie--sounds fun! The amount of housework I do wouldn't keep me in shape--and I need to do a better job of both!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!