Thursday, November 21, 2013

May 23, 1959 Rained Out, Lunch for 20, Hot Chicken, Cold Chicken and Mixed Feelings


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"B is still at school and Ann has gone to the movies with some little girls.  Bob has cooked his own pancakes and now doesn't know what to do with himself.


We were supposed to have a girl scout cook-out this morning but had to cancel it because of wet weather.  The girls were going to cook their own breakfasts outdoors and they were disappointed.  Night before last we had a big rain storm and it rained off and on all day yesterday so the ground is soggy and it is cold today.  Ann had piano rehearsal this morning, too.  Their big recital is Monday night.



Another girl and I had a luncheon yesterday for 20 women so I've spent much of the week getting ready for that.  We had cold chicken salad on lettuce, a jello-applesauce salad, peas, relishes and rolls.  Our dessert was a coffee flavored pudding with coffee.  Next Friday we're having a supper together for some of the teachers--20 more.  This one will be at the other girl's house so I'll do most of the cooking probably.  We're using the same menu but are making a hot chicken dish of some kind.



I had a nice long letter from Charlotte.  She writes so much like Beulah that she could sign either name and I wouldn't know the difference.


I wish I had some of your berries.  There have been some around but they are always half rotten and I haven't bought any yet.  We have potluck tonight and it is my turn to take dessert.  I'd like to make shortcake if I can find nice berries.


Bob had a wonderful time on his camping trip.  Ann and I went to church to the tea and when we came home B and Bob were home and all cleaned up.  B had washed all his dirty clothes and Bob was so tired and happy he could hardly keep his eyes open.



Sorensens are in Italy now.  The trip through India was terrible--heat and bad food--and Woody said he lost more weight than he did in Russia.  He must look awful but he'll gain it back in Europe now.  They will be home the first week in August.

I have mixed feelings about Paul Bellington going into Brazil.  I admire him for it but I pity him too.  That is one of the wildest places in the world for missions.  Bob and I just finished a book about that area and some of the things were pretty hair-raising.  Missionaries certainly earn their keep.  Surely Paul knows what he's headed for.



We have to go to the store so I must stop.  I have to find something for the kids supper plus their sitter this time."

                                Lots of love,

                                       Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!