Tuesday, November 5, 2013

January 31, 1959 Skating in the Yard, Stuck in Bloomington, Bob is Fine and The Microscope Finally Came


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We are still having bad weather and the streets are terrible.  We finally bought the kids some ice skates and they skated in the backyard after school.  It rained a lot on top of the snow and then froze so the yard is like glass.  The streets slush up a little when the sun shines but not enough to do any good.  I got stuck in Bloomington and had to ask a man to push me out.  You can get stuck almost in the middle of the street.


Bob is fine and didn't miss any school.  He struggled through some thank-you notes but I haven't got them mailed yet because they were so short.  I thought I'd write letters to go with them.


I got my dress all done and have started Ann's.  I could have had it done too but have had too many phone calls and visitors.  People come in to stay 5 minutes and stay most of the morning.  I haven't even got my house cleaned this week and Ann has a recital tomorrow.




B will have to work tomorrow too.  He's been up to his ears in work this week but classes started today so next week should be better.

I gave my talk to the church Wed. night and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  It was a bad night so the crowd was small but I certainly didn't blame anyone for not going.  I certainly wouldn't have gone if I hadn't had the program.

Bob's microscope finally came and we have all been having fun with it.  It is a pretty nice instrument and the kids have been looking at everything from oatmeal to peanut butter.  Ann's knee got scratched so we took some of her blood to look at.  It is really interesting.

Ann took the picture with her camera.  Hope you both are fine."

Snapshot included in letter


                                          Lots of love,
                    
                                                   Bonnie

NOTE:  I recall wanting to get rid of old sheet music years ago.  Mom said, "Just keep it.  You'll enjoy seeing it some day!"  She was right.  It was fun to discover a box of it recently, each piece dated.
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!