Friday, November 1, 2013

January 3, 1959 The Weather Turned Bad, The Kids Had Fun, The Stores Are Having Sales and Things Will Slow Down

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It seems like a month since we were home.  We were glad we came home when we did because the weather turned bad and there has been ice everywhere.  It thawed some yesterday but this morning things are covered again.  It is terribly cold and a fine snow is blowing.  I guess we're in for some more of that awful cold again.

The kids have had fun this week but will be glad to get back to school.  Ann has stayed all night with two different friends and had Becky here one night.  Bob stayed one night with his friend and wanted someone to come here but we forgot about it.  He doesn't keep going about things like Ann does and it is easy to forget.  He didn't feel good yesterday.  All of us have been tired and can't seem to get rested.

B and I went to our potluck supper Tuesday night and then out for a New Year's Eve supper & party Wed. night.  We let the kids stay up that night and they were still up when we got home.  Both of them had rested in the afternoon but we thought they would give up and go to bed.

All the stores are having big sales now.  B and I went downtown one noon hour last week and found me a coat.  It is black and brown tweed with a black collar and very pretty.



I've been using my electric skillet a lot.  It's wonderful.  I made vegetable soup in it one day and it was nice not to have to watch it all the time to keep it from boiling over.  I cooked a roast in it, too.



We have three new catalogs--Sears, Aldens and Spiegels.  We haven't had a Spiegels in years and it came by parcel post.


I hope things will slow down a little now.  I want to do my sewing and Ann has already started fussing about getting her dress made.  I have a program on the Middle East to prepare for the church women so I'm going to get that started and then sew next week if I can.

I have my Quill Club reports all in order and will turn them over to the new secretary this week.  I'll be glad to get rid of that job.

Hope you both are fine."

                                 Lots of love,

                                      Bonnie

NOTE:  Although we typically think of using the subscription website www.ancestry.com for only genealogical research, it is a much greater resource.  There is a large collection of digitized Sears catalogs from 1896-1993.  The one pictured above is complete and all of its 1435 pages are available for viewing.  See a sample of its contents below.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!