Saturday, November 2, 2013

January 11, 1959 The Wasted Day, The Monthly Church Supper, The Things from Russia and The Little Ad


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Here it is Sunday afternoon and I'm just getting this written.  It seems like I just wasted yesterday--started a dozen things and didn't finish any of them.  I started cleaning drawers in the kids' rooms and that is what killed the day.  I never did get finished.  B and I went downtown to see what we could find in wall coverings for the upstairs bath and that took the afternoon.  We still haven't found anything we want but we think it will have to be something in sheets or panels so we can do it ourselves.

We had our monthly church supper Friday night and we went to that.  B gave a P.T.A. talk Wed. night and I had a committee meeting.  The week has been full but I've been napping a little in the afternoons.  Of course, that means that I'm behind with ironing, as usual.

I spent a lot of time this week working on that talk for the church.  Woody brought me two more books so I have it written now.  There are a few things I'll change but at least the main part is finished.

Sorensens were here Monday night.  Woody brought us some things he got for us in Russia last summer.  He gave us two records of Russian folk songs, a calendar, and a folder of Russian prints of popular paintings.  Then he gave the kids some Russian money.  The music is very beautiful and part of the pictures are nice and part of them are propaganda type things.  He bought them in a museum & he said Russian families used them in their homes to just look at and enjoy like we do photographs.

B has taken the kids sledding and we are supposed to go to a tea sometime this afternoon.  One of the Baptist churches here in Normal has a new minister.  We were invited to the reception for him.

Thanks for the little ad.  That publisher and dozens of others have to be paid to print a book.  I don't think I'd ever pay $1000. to have my book published.  Some people do, though but very few of them ever sell enough of the books to get their money back.  The ads always sound so tempting.

We now have all of the new catalogs--even Aldens.  I suppose before long we'll be getting letters about not ordering from them.

Maybe next week I won't be so slow.  Hope you both are fine."

                             Lots of love,

                                      Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!