Saturday, November 9, 2013

February 28, 1959 The Beautiful Days, The Chicago Trip and The Little Boy Has Been Found


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We've had a taste of spring for two days but it's cold again.  Everyone talked about the beautiful days.  I even washed the front storm door and would liked to have done all the windows.  I haven't been home long enough this week to do much.  There was something most every day and little errands in between.  We have a friend in the hospital so I went there one afternoon and I've been trying to make a cotton dress for one of Ann's friends.  Her mother is the one who gave me all the iris plants and vegetables and I've tried to make this child a dress all winter.  That is about the only thing I can think of to do in return for all the things she has given me.



B leaves for Chicago tomorrow and will be gone till Wed.  There are so many things to do though that the time will go fast.

The little boy's body was found yesterday in the mud on the bottom of the gravel pit.  The sheriff and his helpers had about 40 pumps going 25 hrs. and had lowered the water five feet in the pit.  Men in boats caught the child with a grappling hook in about four ft. of water.  The divers and hooks had worked the same spot over and over before.  He still had his slicker on and he had not been damaged by the ice.  I am so thankful that he has been found.  His parents will at least know where he is now.

I'm still trying to get a last chapter written on my book but just can't find any time to do it.  We have a slim chance of selling some more Japanese slides so we worked till almost midnight for three nights this week getting them ready to mail.  A photo agency in Chicago wrote for some so they probably wrote to a lot of other people too.

Don't worry about my birthday.  B bought me a new mixer and I've already used it.  My old one shocked me until I was afraid to use it and it kept stopping.  It has been a good one but was just worn out.  My new one is a Sunbeam, too.

It's time I got the dishes washed and a few other things done before it is time to get lunch.  We went to a church supper last night so the sink is full of dirty dishes from that.

Tell Beulah I'll write to her one of these days."

                               Lots of love,

                                     Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. The loss of a child has got to be most parents' worst nightmare. I nearly lost my daughter when she was hit by a car while crossing a road not far from home. It happened outside a Doctor's Rooms and if it had not been for his quick thinking and treatment of her she would have died or perhaps been a quadriplegic. Would you believe the Paramedics came and were going to pick her up off the road but the Doctor stopped them and said to use a frame and a collar to support her neck and back. Sarah's Guardian Angel was with her that day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. That must have been incredibly frightening--stops my heart just to think about what that must have been like for you, and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ann it was terrible. Sarah was late getting home from School and then the doorbell rang and it was a Policeman. He said (and I can still hear him say) 'Your daughter Sarah is in hospital with massive head injuries. The hospital was nearby and I was over there as fast as I could. Sarah was unconscious so no-one really knew how she was. When I saw her she looked like she was covered in sugar but it was powdered glass because she actually went through the car's windscreen. We were indeed lucky in that Sarah still has no memory of that awful accident and she made a full recovery except for some minor scars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know that Sarah survived and recovered! What an awful experience for all of you!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!