Thursday, October 17, 2013

September 8, 1958 Sympathy Cards and Flowers


This is Grandad.  Oct. 19, 1886 - Aug. 25, 1958

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The day is practically gone & I haven't done anything around the house.  Ann had to have a check-up for school this morning & we went shopping for school clothes this afternoon.  I have Ann's brown dress ready for button holes but haven't got them yet.

I'm not caught up with things yet but I did get plastic on my kitchen floor.  The ironing piles higher & higher.  B has really worked this week and school begins with convocation tomorrow.  I won't go to that for there will be about 3500 students coming in with parents.  There won't be room for extras.

The pool closed Labor Day.  It was so cool they drained it & the rest of the week has been hot.   We all wished it had stayed open.  The kids are so restless.  Public school has started & I'll be glad when ours starts Wednesday.

We are still getting sympathy cards and flowers.  Our S.S. class gave the church money in our name, the secretaries at school sent us a planter filled with different plants & some other friends sent us a lavender mum plant.  I hope I can keep them alive after they stop blooming.

Ann is doing fine with piano.  I hate for Bob not to take lessons but it is a relief to not have to practice with him.

We're going to take hot dogs to the lake for supper & the kids are waiting so I'll stop for now."

                       Lots of love,

                             Bonnie

NOTE:   My Grandad's funeral was the first I had ever attended and it was a very sad time for all of us.  He was a kind and gracious gentleman.   See some special mementos below.







Grandad's graduation program from my cousin's scrapbook.  Thanks, Sally!

O.H. Belshe, far right front row with cornet
Autie and O.H., sitting on the ground, center of photo

Belshe Drug Store, Richland, MO, 1920


For many years, Grandad raised prize foxhounds.  It was the sale of one very special dog that funded Dad's undergraduate college education.

"Kit Gentry"
"Big Joe"?

The dogs were sold all over Missouri and beyond.  They were shipped in a crate,  as pictured below.  This one belongs to my cousin, Sally.


Mom loved the puppies and told us stories about the dogs being photographed, trained and advertised, mostly by word of mouth.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!