Sunday, October 27, 2013

November 15, 1958 The Storm Sewer, The Slim & Trim Class, The Christmas Play and The Ironing Board


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The morning is practically gone and I haven't done anything much but we didn't get up very early.  We all went to a church potluck supper last night and were late getting home.  They have these suppers once a month and we enjoy them but haven't got to go much this winter.  There is always something else we have to do.

Our street is a big mess.  The town is laying a storm sewer (an extra one) because so many people get water in basements and because the town is growing so fast.  There is a big ditch in front of our house and they will be digging up part of our drive.  Things probably will be in a mess all winter.  The men got rained out yesterday or they probably would be past our place by now.  We needed the rain but I wish it had waited till after today.  I would like to have gotten the yard cleaned up again.

We raked leaves once but I spent two afternoons this week and still didn't get done.  We have most of the leaves off the yard but I want to get them off the iris and other flowers.

The Faculty Women have started a 30 min. Monday night class for women which they call Slim & Trim.  It is held on Swim nights so you can get all warmed up with exercises and then swim a while.  I went last week and it was lots of fun.  I keep telling B that I'm going to be so slim and trim by next summer that I'll have to have a new swim suit.


I've spent a lot of time working on slides this week.  I'm going to talk to the 7th grades at school on Monday.  They have been studying the Far East and their teacher called me about it.  I don't know him but I said I'd come.

We hadn't thought much about Christmas until this week.  Our Dec. calendar is beginning to fill up and I'm beginning to feel the pressure already.  Our Sunday School is going to use a play I wrote for their Xmas program and they have started on that.  I won't have to do any of the work but I may want to go to a few rehearsals to see how they are doing.  I spent a day typing out the parts and that is a big job.  I was quite thrilled at first about their doing it but I get cold feet when I think about it now.  They are going to do a nice job though, and are going to make new costumes for it.  They have picked good people to do it so it should turn out fine.  It will be given on Sunday night before Xmas and we still don't know when we'll get to come home or how long we'll get to stay.

I must write to Bessie soon.  I wish we could have been with all of you.  They must be excited about their trip.  I know I would be.

I wish Maxine could sell her novel and I hope she has a good agent.  I don't think I'd ever send a peanut to one.  That agent kept my book two years.  I can't seem to find a bit of time to work on rewriting that book.  I keep thinking I'll get going on it but never do.

I guess I had better stop this and get busy.  The ironing board is waiting for me, as usual."

                       Lots of love,

                              Bonnie

NOTES:  I don't remember anything about the goofy snapshot and there was no notation on the envelope or photo.  I assume it may have had something to do with preparing for the presentation on Japan for the 7th grades.  Most likely Mom was going to take the kimonos to show and we were just messing around.

It would be a year before the Christmas play was published, but I know Mom was pleased with the play and enjoyed seeing it at the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!