Friday, October 4, 2013

May 9, 1958 The Iris, The Terribly Busy Week, Lulu is Home and The Dress is Almost Done


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The weather is getting nice at last--it is almost ideal now and everything is beautiful.  My iris are beginning to bloom but only the purple ones are out so far.


This has been a terribly busy week.  We went to a dinner for retiring faculty people one night and I went to Quill Club last night.  I've been buzzing around this morning.  The Bray family will be here this afternoon and Toni asked if Lynn could eat lunch here today.  Our kids can hardly wait for Brays to come.  They had such a good time when they were here this winter.  Margaret gets her citizenship papers in July & they will go back to Japan in August.

Me with Margaret, Tommy and Jimmy Bray
The men came and did the tiling upstairs but will be back sometime next week to do the stairs.  They said they were snowed under with work.

I went to the dentist this week--needed a couple of little fillings so have to go back, of course.

Bob's room is giving a little play next week.  They have been having a lot of tests and we'll see those when we go for the play.

Lulu is home now.  That will save a lot of running now.

My dress is almost done--I can finish it next week.


I hope your package gets there in time for Mothers' Day.  Ann had used all my ribbon for May baskets so the package isn't wrapped pretty but it has lots of love in it for you both.  Hope your day is a nice one."

                       Lots of love,

                              Bonnie

NOTE:  The old slide of the iris is one of only about 6 Dad took of our yard from the early days on School Street.

2 comments:

  1. That slide image of the iris is so vibrant and beautiful. It seems as though it could have been snapped this past spring. It never ceases to amaze (and delight me) how many diverse things your family loved to record on camera and in the mementos and treasures of daily life they held onto.

    Big hugs & the very happiest of October wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I sent a postcard your way from Calgary, my sweet friend, and hope it reaches you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! I only recently found a small number of slides of flowers from our yard and was thrilled. Mom loved flowers and was always so pleased when they did well in the yard. It's wonderful to hear from you and I'm so excited to get your postcard! Your trip sounded terrific! I'll be sure and let you know when your card arrives. Many, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!