Tuesday, October 1, 2013

April 19, 1958 Moving the Mums, Putting Out Bulbs, Planting the Japanese Cherry Tree and Hanging the Curtains

 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's a lovely day and we've almost worked our sox off trying to get some things done outside because it is supposed to rain.  We need the rain but the weather has been just wonderful all week.  It has been summer and we have all loved every minute of it.  B is washing windows and putting up screens.  He didn't even go to the office this morning so we could get some of these things done.  I moved some mums and put out some bulbs.  We are getting rid of the sandbox so that spot had to be dug up and leveled.  We'll put some flowers there this year.

It has been a terribly long week.  I gave a short talk at school one day so that kept me busy.  The college Y.W. C.A. worked for two years to make $250. so they could donate that to a Japanese university for books.  The Japanese students then sent our school a Japanese Cherry tree.  We had quite a ceremony for the planting and I was pleased that they asked me to take part.  This was the first time I had ever talked at school before the President & a lot of others so I was scared stiff.  It went off fine & I had lots of compliments.  B said it was the best thing on the program so I felt real good.


I have a talk at church tomorrow afternoon for a student group and I haven't even looked at my slides.  I'm going to use the same ones I used a few weeks ago for another talk so they are already fixed.

Dad's slide of cherry trees in Japan, 1953


We have spent a lot of time looking at floor tiles and finally settled on a cork pattern.  That is for the children's rooms & the hall.  We won't do anything in the bathroom for awhile.  We had intended to do this ourselves but we have such a time getting little jobs done that we have arranged for the tile place to do the laying.  They won't be here for about 10 days so I'll have to get the stair well walls painted.  I've been trying to do that for two weeks.

Bob's curtains are all finished but the hems.  I'll hang them first to get the length right.  Rods were so high here that I've ordered them.  I ordered material for Ann's curtain's too--just couldn't find anything to suit.  The pattern is in the catalog look cute but we may not like it when it comes.  It is just cotton print.

I have to do some grocery shopping so I'd better say bye.  Are you coming to see us this spring?  We're coming to see you in July."

             Lots of love,

                      Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!