Thursday, September 5, 2013

October 20, 1957 The Homecoming Weekend, The Visit from Phyllis, The Illinois Pen Women and The Blooming Mums

1957 Homecoming float image courtesy of Illinois State Normal University Archives

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is homecoming week-end so things have been buzzing.  All of the houses where students live are decorated on the outside and the prize winners get quite a bit of money so the decorations are always good.  They are lighted so everyone goes out on Friday night to see them.  Phyllis (our student girl) and her husband came in last night for supper so we all drove around to see the houses and then went to the big bonfire the students build.  It's always as big as a house and the band plays.  It's real nice.  Phyllis left about 10:00 last night.  B went to a breakfast this morning and we all went to the parade.  Some friends came home with us and stayed most of the morning after that.  The weather is beautiful but cold so it was good to get home.

I didn't get this finished last night.  We were invited out for dessert and didn't get home till late.

This afternoon I am going to a meeting of the Illinois Pen Women.  That is a national organization and I would like to belong but they always meet on Sunday and usually for lunch which isn't so good.  The meeting today though is at 2:00.  But it's 40 miles away so we'll leave about 1:00.

I got my manuscript back again but this time the editor said she thought it was publishable if it were better organized.  Her letter was long & full of suggestions so I'm starting to work on it again.  I haven't had much time but keep hoping things will slow down.

Edna's back is getting better but it still hurts her.  She has taken the brace off now and is up more.  She is going to start going places before long.

My mums are blooming and I have some pretty colors but they are rather scrubby.  It took us most of the day but we put a double row of peonies across the end of the yard.  My bulbs are all dug now but I don't have them put away yet.  We had a hard frost last night and the leaves are falling fast.


I've been trying to make myself a cotton shirtwaist dress.  Maybe I can finish it this week.


Everyone is out of bed now so I'd better get some breakfast or we'll be late for Sunday School."

                              Lots of love,

                                   Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!