Monday, September 16, 2013

January 5, 1958 Snow Like Glass, A Blue Gingham Dress and A Pink Nash Rambler



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Vacation time is about over and the kid's are beginning to think about school again.  They have had a wonderful time in the snow the last few days in spite of the cold weather.  You know our back yard slopes quite a bit and the kids take a run off the patio and slide all across our yard and into the next yard.  The snow is pounded down until it's like glass.


I've really gotten quite a bit of work done even with the kids home.  But I guess that's because I haven't had to run to piano lessons and choir and everything.  I spent one day putting plastic on the kitchen floor.  That's a real job but it lasts a while and waxing doesn't do any good at all.   Toni gave me a permanent one day while all the kids went to the movies and she and Watty were here for lunch that day.

All of us went out there for supper on New Year's Eve for the kids' annual Christmas party they have together.  We didn't stay very late and spent the rest of the evening at home.  Mildred Wells and her son were in Normal for a few days so we went to a tea for them on New Year's Day.

I made Ann a gingham dress and she wore it to a birthday party today.  It was a remnant I bought last fall and a lovely piece of material--blue plaid.  We ordered her a coat too.  She may not wear it more than a year but a bigger one would have been sloppy.

We have the heat all in the upstairs now.  B went to see the man that had made some pipe for us last summer.  He came right out and then brought his workmen the day after New Years.  They worked until they finished it.  We usually have to wait so long to get anything done that it is hard to believe that the job is all done.  We still haven't got a carpenter to work upstairs, though.

1957 Nash Rambler wagon, image courtesy of www.pinterest.com

Wattersons have a new car.  They had trouble with their other one on their trip to Harrisburg to see Toni's dad so they traded while they were there.  They got a Nash Rambler station wagon.  It is pink and really a nice car.

I hope Daddy's cold is better.  Lots of rest and sleep seems to help me more than anything when I have a cold.

No, the chicken was not a fryer!  I found that out when I started to cook it.  We made dumplings and then I finally ground the leftover chicken for sandwiches.  Everything we brought home was fine--butter still hard and sausage still frozen but I forgot the blackberries.  Weren't you going to give me some frozen ones?  And we forgot the willow but Bob hasn't thought of it yet.

It's almost supper time and my sweeper is still in the hall.  I ironed all day yesterday instead of cleaning so I'd better get busy."

                             Lots of love,

                                     Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!