Sunday, September 22, 2013

February 18, 1958 The Finishing Work, The Bathroom Floor, The Valentines, The Missionaries and The Responsibilitiy for 200

Simonize ad, American Home, January, 1958


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The men finished their work yesterday morning but we haven't got things cleaned up yet.  We haven't got the bill yet, either which sort of scares us when we think about it.  The upstairs does look nice and they were very nice workmen to have around.  They did nice finishing work which is done so sloppily by so many carpenters now.  They kept the mess swept up as much as they could but there is always so much dust with that kind of job.  I usually clean on Friday but didn't yesterday because I wanted them to get out first.  I spent the morning on the bathroom floor.  I took all the wax off and put plastic on it.  It really looks nice but is such an awful job to get the wax off.  I'm plenty sore today--shows how lazy I am, I guess.

The whole house needs to be cleaned from top to bottom.  I'll be so glad when spring comes but I'm going to try to start cleaning soon and not wait for spring.

The new of the BB gun has worn off a little and we haven't had any troubles with it, yet.  Dave Watterson got one about two weeks ago but it was for his birthday (which is tomorrow) and Watty wouldn't let him even load it until his birthday.  The stinker!

The kids liked the Valentines.  They got a lot of them but didn't get excited about Valentines until the last minute so they didn't mail many.  They even got some from Mike & David.

Yes, Frances & Bill Bray (our missionary friends) are going back to Japan late next summer.  Their little girl will get her American citizenship papers then.  You remember that she was a war orphan--half American, half Japanese.  When I look at her, I know how wonderful Brays really are.  She is such a happy child now and was so serious and quiet when they first got her.  She and Ann really giggled the time away.  They are Methodist but most of the Protestant churches in Japan are united into one big organization called the United Church of Japan.  So denominations are unimportant.  They feel they can do better work united.  The Japanese government forced them to unite into one group during the war.  Some withdrew from the union after the war but the others (and the wise ones, it seems) realized they were a stronger Christian front if they worked together.  The American Baptists are part of the United church but I believe Southern Baptists withdrew.  I don't know the names even of any Baptist missionary but you can find some of them in your Baptist magazines.

Our church is entertaining about 200 young people next week-end.  It is a district meeting.  We have to cook their meals at church for them and four students will sleep in our upstairs, I guess.  I'll have to help with the dinner Saturday night.

We have the 2nd grade party ( a family thing) Monday night.  It is a dessert and business meeting and I'll be glad when it's over.  It will involved about 200 people--too many, and B can't be there to help me.  Another mother and I have the responsibility of it.

Hope you both are fine.  Have you thought any about coming to see us?  The kids have vacation the week before Easter.  B will be gone to a meeting part of that time but for only 2 or 3 days."

                               Lots of love,

                                         Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!