Friday, August 30, 2013

September 7, 1957 Seems Like Fall, The Mad Rush Begins and Nothing to Write

The Index, 1957
 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It seems like fall has come.  We have had the furnace on the last two days.  It has been cloudy and gloomy but we didn't get enough rain for anything and we need it so badly.

This week has gone so fast.  B helped Watty paint Monday afternoon and we ate supper out there that night.  The children and I went with Toni Wed. to get Lynn at Sterling, Ill.  She has been visiting at Kathleen's (that's Watty's sister).  It is in the northwest part of the state and I'd never been there so I enjoyed it but it took us all day.

Your letter hasn't come yet this week so I wonder what you've been up to.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the mad rush that always begins when school starts.  Tonight we are going to a reception for a new man who will head the music dept.  I won't have to go tomorrow but B probably will.  They have a special program for students, parents & faculty in the afternoon and then a picnic supper.

Edna is getting better slowly but she still stays in bed most of the time.  She won't be able to go to many school affairs this fall.  She still wears the brace and can't wear her clothes.  We tease her about her Miss America measurements--her waist is 33" with the brace on.

I read Pearl Buck's Imperial Woman last week.  That is quite a book. 

There just isn't anything to write.  B has most of the wiring done upstairs now.

Hope you both are fine."

                          Lots of love,

                                Bonnie

NOTES:  For a review of Imperial Woman use this link:  http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Woman-Empress-Oriental-Novels/product-reviews/1559210354   

The image of the book is from Four Square Books 21, via Flickr.  

And as for the Miss America comment, it was common practice in our household that when anyone looked particularly messy or disheveled, Mom would say, "Well, hello Miss America!"  It was of course, just gentle sarcasm meant to convey a point.  Edna was very small, so this was just a tease.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ann I remember my Mum loved reading Pearl S. Buck novels and I would often see them around the house. Mum also loved Georgette Heyer novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Merryl! I haven't read Georgette Heyer but now I'm curious. I always have a stack of books waiting to be read, and one of them happens to be Imperial Woman. Now I need to read it for sure! It's fun to think that I might be reading a book now that Mom was reading 56 years ago this week:-) Thanks so much for writing!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!