Wednesday, August 14, 2013

March 31, 1957 Sukiyaki for 14, Spreading Junipers, Milk and Cookies, Sulfa and Aspirin and The Slow Suit



 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I'm late again.  It seems like I've been on the run for two days.  Yesterday I went to Bloomington as soon as the kids were off to school and I could get ready.  It is hard for me to find a time to go so I go when I get a chance.  I had seen the shoes I wanted and was afraid my size would be gone if I waited too long.  They are black nylon mesh and fit like a glove--pumps.  Then I went to the grocery store and got home at lunchtime.  During the lunch hour we went to the A&P and got some little spreading junipers they were featuring for $1.99 to put out along the walk from the steps to the garage.  We had hoped to put them there sometime but we never dreamed we could get them so cheap.  They are real nice and I just hope they grow now.  We put them out this afternoon and they look fine.

I went to Edna's after lunch to show some women how to prepare the meat & vegetables for sukiyaki and then I cooked their Japanese dinner last night in one of their homes.  Edna & Woody belong to a church (Lutheran) couples potluck group and they asked me to cook them all a Japanese dinner.  B & I both went and we had a big time.  There were 14 of us.

This morning the children and I went with Mildred Wells and her little boy to a recital to hear him play.  Then we stopped at their house for milk and cookies.  We worked in the yard after lunch and I didn't do a bit of cleaning inside the house all day.

Feature in Good Housekeeping, May, 1956
Bobby is sick tonight and seems to be taking what Ann had last week.  We have started sulfa and aspirin so maybe we'll get it stopped.  Both B & I were supposed to teach Sunday School tomorrow so we had to hunt a substitute.

My suit is coming along slowly.  The shirt is about done but the coat work is really slow.  I'm glad you didn't start one for it's a real job.

We still plan to come home on Fri., the 12th after school.  It will be midnight when we get there because the children won't be out of school early this time."

             Lots of love,

                      Bonnie

NOTE:  The preparation of Sukiyaki is not particularly difficult, but time-consuming.  Each item needs to be cut in the correct proportion so that it cooks for the right amount of time and maintains a good texture.  I enjoy preparing it (although I don't use the hibachi anymore) and pictured below is a recent version, prepared for 4.  Our mom cut the meat in paper-thin slices by hand, but I just ask the butcher to do it--it's never thin enough!  As soon as the piping hot sukiyaki is served, an egg is broken into the broth of each serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!