Wednesday, August 21, 2013

June 22, 1957 The Y, The World Books and The Letter from California


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I've been doing the weekly cleaning & haven't much pep today so I'll use this excuse for resting.  This has been the longest week even if it has been a busy one.  We went to Watterson's a while Sunday & they left before daylight Monday.  The kids are fine.  I took them to school the first day & they have been here to play.  Lynn was lonesome & sad a couple of days & my heart ached for her but she's fine now.  The boys have never shown any signs of being lonesome.

We got Bob enrolled at the Y.M.C.A. for swimming & he's really having a time.  He can go 5 times a week.  B can go with him one of those times & we all can go one time.  My suit was too little & B made me get a new one so we can go.  I know it will be fun for all of us.  Ann will have her first lesson tomorrow.

We ordered the kids a set of World Book Encyclopedias this week.  They have a teachers' plan where we can buy the set without a down payment & $10. a month.  We could have saved only $5. by paying cash.  The payments don't begin until Oct. & stop during summer months.  This way we'll get the books right away.  The whole set was $129.00.

I got my manuscript fixed up & sent off to a publisher.  There hasn't been time to hear from them but I am anxious to hear what they say about it.

I hope the clematis lives.  Give it plenty of water.  I told you my Queen Elizabeth was labeled wrong & I wrote about it.  They sent me the nicest rose bush to replace it.  It was dormant & hasn't had time to come out but it really has nice canes on it.

B had an interesting letter from the Teachers' College at Chico, California this week.  They offered him the job as head of the education department there.  The president wanted him to come to Chicago for an interview next Mon.  B wrote back & told him about his job here.  If the Calif. man can make a better offer than B's job here he is to wire B & he'll go to Chicago.  There isn't much chance of our moving but it's fun to talk about the other school.  We know two men who will teach there next year.  Chico is in north-eastern Calif. near the mts.

Image courtesy of www.sensibility.com
I'd like to get some sewing done but can't get to it.  I cut a dress out a long time ago & haven't sewed a stitch on it.  It won't take long when I get started & I do need some summer dresses.

Hope you both are fine & not working too hard."

                    Love,

                           Bonnie




NOTE:  Our set of World Books, pictured above and published in 1957 remains on a shelf in my basement.  They are great fun to look at, but the world is so very different now the books are useful only for the historical perspective.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!