Saturday, August 10, 2013

February 23, 1957 The Glasses, The German Measles, The Riddle, The Steak Dinner and ISNU Celebrates




Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Bob has his glasses and is doing pretty well with them.  We have to remind him to put them on sometimes.  Ann likes them so much that she wants some too.  But she always wants everything he gets, anyway.

Ann was sent home from school Tuesday morning with a rash that the Dr. says is German measles.  It has been all over town.  Ann hasn't been sick so she has almost talked my ears off.  She can go back to school Monday.

We have a big Scout potluck supper next Tuesday night and B is going to give the program--show slides of Japan--so we picked them out last night.  That is always a chore.

I couldn't do much work with Ann around so I've sewed a little.  Her gingham dress is all done but the buttonholes.  Course, I couldn't get out to get any buttons or it would be finished.  She really kept me hopping.  One day she told me an outlandish riddle and when I looked at her doubtfully she said, "Original, wasn't it?"  Then she fell over laughing--I just about did.

Bob really had a time at the dinner party.  There were 8 boys and they went to a real nice restaurant in Bloomington.  They got to pick out their own dinner and one kid picked a $4.00 T-bone steak dinner!  Ann and I met B at the train while Bob was gone.

We all went to Sunday School but none of us stayed for church.  I felt guilty.

Save your frame and maybe you can find a picture in Bloomington when you come next summer.

David's birthday was Thurs. but we couldn't go to the party because of our rash but plan to go out there sometime next week for supper.

It is still awfully cold but the tulips and iris are pushing up through the leaves we raked over them last fall.  I hope they don't get nipped.


Our University celebrated its 100th birthday last Monday.  There was a birthday dinner with about 500 people there.  Gov. Stratton was the main speaker but there were short speeches by different graduates.  The oldest one graduated 75 years ago.  She is 95 and made a nice talk.  Then they had a 25 and 50 year graduate talk and one from this year's class.  It was really a nice affair.  The Bloomington Pantagraph put out a special edition in honor of ISNU and we'll send you a copy when we can get it mailed.


Artist's (Bobby) rendition of Old Main





Hope you both are fine.  I had better get to work.  The house has to be cleaned and I have to get some material ready for Sunday School tomorrow.  I have to work in the kindergarten.  I work alternate Sundays because I feel I need and want to go to an adult Sunday School class part of the time."

                      Lots of love,

                             Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!