Thursday, August 8, 2013

February 10, 1957 The Redbirds, The Mud, The School Visit, T-bones, Meatloaf, Potato Salad and Jello

 
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The redbirds have been singing like spring was on its way.  It is warming up and the snow is about gone but oh, the mud!

I've done a little of everything this week except clean up the house.  One day was dollar day in Bloomington so I went down in the morning.  I wanted shoes and a hat but didn't find any.  I did get Ann a pair of shoes.  Some of the stores were so crowded you couldn't even get to the counter.

I went to visit in Bob's room one morning.  They had some work to copy from the board and he kept squinting so I mentioned it to the teacher.  She had the nurse check his eyes again and she thinks we should have his eyes tested by the doctor.  We have an appointment next Friday.  We hope he won't need glasses but he probably will.




Last night we had our monthly family potluck supper at the church.  We were co-hosts with the minister's family.  We made meatloaf and potato salad.  The other people brought jello salads and dessert.  It turned out to be a real good supper.


Good for a chuckle!
Your pink material is real pretty and doesn't seem to wrinkle at all.  I have another dress half done for Ann.  It is like the gingham she got a year ago Christmas.

We never did hear from the books.  I guess we won't hear form them but we'll keep watching and try again.  One of these days we'll find some.  Bob does fine at school.  He has to work at spelling and reading but arithmetic comes easily and he loves it.

Toni was here a while this morning.  We hardly ever have time to visit anymore.  She brought Watty to school and came here to wait until the grocery store opened.  We still have a lot of meat in their freezer but are saving T-bones to have with them sometime.  She is still trying to get drapes up and is making them herself so it is slow.  Their yard is a sea of mud now.  It makes my back ache to look at it.  I remember all the work we did here and that wouldn't be a smell to what they have to do.  Course they can't do anything till spring so they can pour a driveway.  She hasn't done anything about her clothes for their trip in June yet.  I think I'd be half packed if I were going around the world.

It is almost lunch time so I must stop.  B will soon be home.  He worked at school all day last Sat. but I hope he won't have to today."

                     Lots of love,

                           Bonnie

NOTES:  Dad often used his Saturday morning time in the office for writing.  Below is a book review with a publication date of Feb. 4, 1957 in the The Clearing House:  High Schools in Action, Fairleigh Dickinson College.  I love the reference to the "3 Ls" which so accurately portrayed his philosophy of life, all with the addition of fun.

As for the meatloaf, I'm certain that the above recipe was not made for the potluck supper, but the Zesty Meatloaf probably was, found here:

 http://www.annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/10/march-28-1953-wheelers-are-coming-news.html    This could be doubled, tripled and quadrupled, for better or worse.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!