Thursday, August 1, 2013

December 8, 1956 The 4 O'Clock Train, The Lutheran Missionary, The Christmas Tree and The First Family on the Hill


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"B went to Chicago on the 4 o'clock train this morning so we're by ourselves until Sunday night.  Mildred Wells went too so I had to take Francis (her little boy) to a music club this morning since he is staying with a girl that can't drive.  It was all dry when B left this morning but there was a real blizzard on when we got up.  It has stopped now but we have a good heavy snow on the ground.  The streets are sure slippery but the kids have had fun in the snow.

Our rug hasn't come back yet and I finally got started on the ceiling.  It really looks awful now with half of it washed.  I worked yesterday morning and today my arm is so sore I can hardly move it.  I guess I used some lazy muscles.  Yesterday was one of those days that wears you down.  Bob's room had a play in the afternoon.  Then we went to his piano lesson.  We hurried home and went after the Xmas tree.  Before I could wash the supper dishes Edna called and wanted me to go hear a missionary talk on his work in Japan.  So I rushed out to the grocery store for the week-end shopping and then went to church with her.  The man is Lutheran and has charge of the Lutheran Hour broadcasts in Japan.

Our Christmas tree is one of the prettiest ones we have ever had.  It seems early to have one but we don't get much good out of one if we don't get it early.


Ann looks so funny.  She has three teeth out in front.

I guess Bessie told you when they would be home.  We'll stay at Belshe's since Buddy will probably be at your house.

Toni and Watty plan to move in about a week.  I hope they don't have a day like this.  They will be the first family on that hill and it seems to me it will be kind of lonesome.  I guess they won't have time to get lonesome.

We took the kids downtown one night last week to see all the Xmas things.  It was warm that night and we had fun.

Bob hasn't practiced today so I'd better round him up and get it done."

                     Love,

                        Bonnie

NOTE:  See interesting article below and use the link for more information about Ashley Montagu, the popular anthropologist who was somewhat controversial in the 50's.  Bonnie enjoyed his views on child-rearing, on equality among race and gender as well his writing. 


http://www.montagu.org/mont.html

4 comments:

  1. Like I say every time, excellent. Love looking back with Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Margaret. I thought you might appreciate that clipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Ann! I love the term lazy muscle when used in combination with cleaning the ceilings...such different times.
    I'll look for more reading on Ashley Montagu, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pam! Don't you wash your ceilings:-) I do think you'll enjoy reading more about Ashley Montagu. Thanks for reading and writing, as always!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!