Thursday, August 15, 2013

April 28, 1957 The Rain, The Tree, The Roses, The Trellis, The Scouts and Easter Sunday

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We're all about mildewed around here.  It has rained almost all week and not just a little but an awful lot.  It rained over 1-1/2 inches yesterday afternoon.  Things are awfully green but they need sunshine now.

The men topped the tree over a week ago and our yard has been full of logs and brush since then.  They came today and are taking it away in spite of the rain.  They said the yard will be ruined if they don't get it off the grass.  They can work in raincoats now but if the rain starts pouring like yesterday they will have to quit.

My roses are all sprouting nicely and I got a lot of ferns at Etta's yesterday for the north side of the house.  I work in the rain but got them planted.  My phlox is awful looking and I don't know whether it will grow or not.  It was guaranteed so I can get more if it doesn't.

I'm sending your money back.  Buddy wouldn't tell me what the telephone bill was.  I called for the charge and had to be called back and he answered the phone.  They don't have to pay for calls except an occasional long distance because he's been with the co. over 30 yrs.  Bessie said they were charged for only one call to San Francisco at Xmas and she couldn't even remember how many they made.

We had a lovely Easter Sunday.  Church was running over and our kindergarten was full.  All of us felt like we'd done a days' work after Sunday School was over.  I got Ann's dress and my suit both finished.  My skirt has to be fitted over.  I got it too big.

We got two trellises at Sears yesterday for a dollar a piece.  They are light weight but painted white and are just what I wanted for my two climbing roses.  B said we couldn't even buy the wood for that.  they were on special and we got the last two.

B has an all day meeting today.  We've hardly seen him this week.  He has had 2 or 3 night meetings this week and I was hostess at a church meeting one night and had a scout meeting one night.


The Cub Scouts

I went to school two afternoons this week.  I am helping to make costumes for the centennial pageant.  It is to be outdoors and will tell the story of the University.  There are several hundred in it.  Bob has a little part.  I wish you could come for it the last of May.  I'm working on boys' suits (denim).

Image courtesy of Illinois State University Archives


Tonight we have a pot luck supper and I have to take dessert.  I think I'll make chocolate pies.



Tomorrow we all are going to Barber's for cake & ice-cream to celebrate B's, Watty's & Ruth Barber's birthdays.  After that we have to go to school to a reception for some retiring faculty people.

Ann is going to a party this afternoon.  I have to do some calling and find someone to take her for B had to have our car and the Watterson boys are sick.  They have sore throats but we thought bill had mumps before the Dr. got there.  His face & neck were so swollen.

Hope you both are fine.  I don't guess you have heard anything from Jeff. City.  I told Buddy about it but didn't think you'd mind.  He thought it was fine."

                       Lots of love,

                             Bonnie

Happy Easter from Bobby and Ann.



NOTE:  In April of 1957,  the huge Elm in the corner of our back yard came down.  It provided lots of fun for climbing and bouncing on the downed limbs.  Photos will be posted tomorrow but unfortunately they don't give a good sense of the size of the tree.

I'd like to offer a special thank-you to April Anderson and Sarah Harris of the ISNU archives for locating the photo of the blue denim suits!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yah, that sounds delicious! Swirl in a little mint and it would make for a great Christmas time dessert, too. I just love all of the classic recipes you share in your posts, dear Ann - they appeal to the vintage lover and home cook alike in me so much.

    I really hope you're well and having a terrific August, my dear friend.

    Tons of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Your idea to make a calendar for Tony is so cool!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!