Friday, July 19, 2013

September 1, 1956 Trying to Sew and Make Pies, Planning an Anniversary Party, Publishing Another Article and The Kids are Restless

Old issues available on ebay, but none for 1956-7.
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Although we have another week before school starts our vacation might as well be over.  The phone started ringing as soon as we got home and I told B it seemed like school was closing in on us.  We have a parents' meeting scheduled for Bob's room and I have to help finish the details for the Faculty Women's banquet next week.

We picked two buckets of tomatoes after we got home Wed.  I gave half of them to different neighbors and then canned the rest on Thurs.  I used the food mill and made juice but we drank that so I didn't can any of it.  Our own vines have some beautiful red tomatoes on them which we planned to pick this morning but it is raining.

B put the shelf up over the stool in the bathroom and it really looks nice.  That's the cheapest shelf we ever had.  The glass cutter didn't charge for cutting the glass and even polished the edge.

I have sold another article to the Grade Teacher magazine.  They bought the last one.  The letter was here when we got home.  It is one page and tells how to fold a Halloween mask from a square of paper.  I guess it will pay $5.00 like the last one.  They have 3 or 4 others I submitted in the spring which I hope they use this year.  If they can't use them they send the articles right back but have kept these.

I tried to sew yesterday but didn't get very far and today I've got to clean.  I want to make some pies too and wax the bathroom floor.




Bessie may have told you about the plans for the anniversary.  We'll have the open house and I think we have it planned so it won't be hard for any of us.  Your part will be the dishwasher and the coffee and tea.

Don't go to stewing about it.  Decide on your rugs and get them.  Get the drapes if you think you must.  I like the windows as they are.  They look nice.  Why don't you order Olsons like mine.  You can send them back if you don't like them or pick out another pattern.  You can't beat the price.  That two tone grey is beautiful.

The kids are restless and will be glad when school starts.  So will I."

                         Love to you both,

                                 Bonnie

NOTES:  I have searched high and low for the issue of Grade Teacher in which the article on the Halloween mask and illustrations were published.    The origami Bonnie learned in Japan led to many experiments with paper involving elaborate folding and cutting in order to make masks, hats, ornaments, etc.   I loved the animal papercuts such as the cat below, the only one I have left.





Regarding the plans for our other grandparents' 50th anniversary celebration, I was both amused and shocked to think that Grandmother would be responsible for washing the dishes during her own party.  Having now read the plans, which will be posted closer to the event, I see that it was her job to find someone to do those tasks.  I feel much better knowing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!