Monday, July 29, 2013

November 18, 1956 Pumpkin Pie and Ice Cream, 50th Anniversary Details and Planning to Paint


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Saturday is almost gone and I still haven't got my letter written.  Bob had an extra piano class this afternoon and we went from there into Bloomington to get the kids some shoes.  Now it's almost supper time.  B and I are going to a potluck and I am taking pumpkin pie and ice cream.

Tell Rosalynn I appreciate her letter and wish I'd asked her for information sooner.  It had been so long since we heard from her.  She told about her Dad going to Jeff. City but your letter was the first we'd heard about it.

I spent all day yesterday on the anniversary plans and mailed them to Bessie & Beulah today.  I told them you would furnish the coffee, tea, sugar, cream & lemon and that you would hire Mrs. Snoden Clark to make the coffee and wash dishes that afternoon.  We won't plan any Sunday dinner but have stuff for sandwiches and coffee.  Then if anyone comes in expecting to eat they can fix their own.  I think I've told you all of this before.


Everything is frozen now and if we can, we want to cut off the petunias and rake the yard again tomorrow.  Watterson's house is almost done.  B & Watty planned to paint it today but it turned too cold.  I doubt if they'll get it painted before spring now.  We have talked about having Thanksgiving together but they want to work most of the day so I've suggested supper together.  Whatever they want to do is what we'll do for I know how every minute of work counts with them now.  Toni is the most thrilled person I ever saw and she has reason to be.  The old apartment is falling apart and much too small for them.

I had better stop and fix something for the kids to eat."

                               Lots of love,

                                      Bonnie

Snapshots with the letter, Bob, Pretzel & Ann
NOTE:  For pumpkin pie and French vanilla ice cream recipes use the links:

http://www.annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/01/october-9-1942-laundry-pie-and.html

http://www.annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/07/april-1-and-8-1950-skimmed-milk-and-ice.html

2 comments:

  1. What uncanny timing! I woke up yesterday with the biggest hankering for pumpkin pie I've had in years. We're weeks away from summer's end, but I think I might just have to break with tradition and whip one up long before the leaves change colours. :)

    Wishing you a beautiful Monday & week ahead, my dear friend.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That happens sometimes doesn't it? We roasted a turkey last week for the same reason and now we've got way too many leftovers for 2! Enjoy your busy week as well:-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!