Sunday, July 28, 2013

November 10, 1956 The Winter, The Dress, The Shirt, The Bakery and The Burmese Dinner


Woman's Day, November, 1956


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Winter has caught up with us and it has been real cold.  For once, I had the kids' coats clean and ready for them to wear.  I had to let down the sleeves and hem in Ann's coat and just hope she can wear it all winter.  B has almost worked himself down to get the storm windows on.  He was determined to paint them first and then had to wash the regular windows before putting them on.  He finished them last night.

I have been trying to get the kitchen cleaned and finally got all the painted surface washed.  That place over the stove is awful to wash without climbing up on the stove to do it.  The cabinets need cleaning out too and I'll clean the wallpaper.
Clippings in the letter

Ann's dress is all done but the buttons.  I want to get them on today so she can wear it to S.S. tomorrow.  I also fixed a shirt of mine which has been too tight for comfort.  It had a big hem so I took the band off and make the shirt bigger.

Will you ask Rosalynn some things for me?  I could write her but she probably wouldn't answer as soon as you'd be writing.  I want to know the name and address of the bakery in Lebanon where we got the cakes last year.  If she doesn't know the address look it up in the telephone book.  I'll have to write about the cake, I guess for I doubt if Beulah would get to Lebanon.

We just got another load of dirt for the north end of the yard.  That means another hard job but we'll be so glad next spring.

We all went to a family supper at the church last night and had such a good time.  B and I are invited to a Burmese dinner tonight.  We have a lot of foreign teachers visiting our campus and B lectured to them several times so a Burmese woman invited us to dinner.  I would love to invite them all for supper some night but don't know when I'd do it.

My mums are real pretty now even if they are funny shaped.  Some petals are long and some short.  The petunias are still blooming but the marigolds and foliage plants are frozen.

B has gone to school to work and the kids are at the neighbor's so I'd better get busy myself."

                            Lots of love,

                                     Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!