Monday, July 8, 2013

May 19, 1956 The Almost Perfect Day, The Wonderful Picnic Food, The Proud Cub Scout and Bonnie Runs Down


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I'm glad you have finally had some rain.  We keep getting a little along but the lake is still low although it isn't seriously low anymore.  It has been cold but today was almost perfect and we just about worked our sox off.  That's the trouble with such a day.  I ironed this morning and was supposed to go to the dentist after lunch but his nurse called and said he was called out of town.  I was really glad because there were so many things I wanted to do.  I finished painting the bedroom before everyone got home from school.  Then we worked in the yard until it was too dark to see.  There was a huge lilac bush in the back that was too old to bloom so we cut out all the old parts and left the young shoots.  It is a real improvement but I'll be sore tomorrow.

Ann's room had a picnic Wednesday evening and we almost froze.  The food was wonderful but everyone left the minute we finished eating.

Yesterday was quite a day.  I went to two coffee parties, music class, ate supper at Watterson's and went to a Scout meeting--all in the afternoon and evening.  We were all exhausted.  Bob is now a Cub Scout and is so proud of it.  They won't do much until fall but will have a few hikes this summer.  They will spend one night at camp with their dads.


The boys have part of the siding on the garage.  The concrete work, including the walk may get done Thursday.  They are really working now for their time is getting short.

I haven't heard from Olsons since I sent the rags but I know you'll have enough to at least order when you want to.

Phyllis (the girl who used to stay with us) and her husband are coming to spend the day tomorrow.  I haven't done a thing to be ready for them.  I thought I'd make a cake today but didn't.

This is short but I seem to have run down."

                     Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

Red Devils Food Cake

Sift together 1-2/3 c Gold Medal flour, 1-1/2 c sugar, 1-1/4 t soda, 1 t salt and 1/2 c cocoa.  Mix together 1/2 c shortening, 1 c milk, 1 t vanilla extract and 3 eggs.  Beat well and add to flour mixture, continuing to beat thoroughly until batter is very smooth.  Grease and dust with flour 2- 8" cake pans.  Divide batter and bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Cool and remove from pans.  Frost as desired. (Image and recipe from Gold Medal flour ad, Life magazine, May, 1956.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!