Monday, July 1, 2013

March 24, 1956 The Dark Day, The Coupons, The Paint and The Indoor Picnic


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is such a dark day it looks like it might snow any minute.  It stays so cold.  Both Ann and Bob have colds but haven't felt bad.  Ann has played outside all morning with a little boy she knows in kindergarten.  They live in the next block.  He comes everyday and sometimes before we get dressed.  There are lots of children around.  One day this week we had 7 playing in our yard.

I've thought a lot about the store business since your letter came last week.  I was surprised because I thought it was settled that the store would not be sold but the more I think about it the better I like the idea.  It sounds like Daddy will not have to work so hard and have more time for himself.  Then he won't have the full responsibility of the store which could be a lot of extra work and worry.  I can't remember Lloyd Cook except I knew Ruth had two brothers.  They were both older and gone from Richland when we were little girls.  I think it will be fine and you can start planning on coming to see us this summer to celebrate that first vacation.

I keep getting coupons for free poundage on Olson rugs.  They are dated but I'll save the useable one always so when you are ready to order you can use it.  How many pounds do you need?  Do you have it picked out and have an idea when you might order?  I think I'd have enough poundage for you to order anytime.  The rest could be sent later.

I washed the hall ceiling this morning and we are going to buy the paint today.  We picked out a light green.  We are going to get enough to do our bedroom in the same color since the paint is on sale this week-end.  It will be a long time before we get to the painting because I still have to get the wallpaper paste off the hall.  B will be gone half of next week and I won't even attempt to do much on the house with the kids home.  I had planned to get the walls all ready this week but didn't.

This is Saturday.  It got to be lunchtime before I got my letter finished and I never got back to it.  We bought our paint while the kids were in school and then I went to the grocery store.  The kids hate to go shopping so badly that we try to go when they don't have to.


Wattersons came up and had supper with us in front of T.V.  We had saved enough wood to have a good fire in the fireplace.  It was fun and the kids were so good.  We just had a picnic supper with hot dogs.

Ann keeps talking so I'll just stop."

                   Lots of love,

                          Bonnie

NOTE:  The magazines of the mid-1950's are full of ads for grocery stores  as well as kids' sweet cereals and all kinds of candy.   This seemed to mark the beginning of an era of children as consumers.  That is, kids were beginning to be targeted in popular magazines.

2 comments:

  1. I love looking at old magazines and seeing what was available and what everyone was doing and what was interesting. I guess basically except for the advent of computers the things being advertised and the things people are interested in haven't changed all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was so much more content, both fiction and non-fiction than in today's magazines, but there were just as many ads it seems. The post-war prosperity brought an avalanche of car ads, private airplanes, travel, etc. Almost all of them have full-page sweet cereal and candy ads. I love reading them but they're a nuisance to store:-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!