Friday, July 5, 2013

April 28, 1956 Planting the Peace Rose, B's Nice Birthday and Pitiful Pretzel


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This has been a wonderful day.  We had a real good rain last night and then the sun came out real warm.  You could almost see things getting green.  I raked a little in the yard and we planned to sow grass seed on some spots but the wind was blowing so hard we gave it up.

B's folks sent him a Peace rose for his birthday and you should have seen us putting it out.  All of us had a part in it and the kids thought it was great stuff.  I still have my birthday money but I'm saving it till we finish the garage.  Then I plan to spend it on a rose or mum.  We'll need to do so much in the front yard when the garage is done.  I brought two climbing roses that were on sale today.  One was a Paul Scarlet and one a Blaze.  The store had only a few and people were buying them fast.  They were so cheap that I wondered if they were any good but the roots and canes look fine so I hope they'll grow.  When we come home I'm going to get me a bushel or two of your free fertilizer.  I'll be ready to take some of Beulah's iris in August, too.  That's the time to get them.  That is, if she still wants to share with me.

Is Dona any better?  I tried to find a card to send her today but nothing was right.

B had a nice birthday.  We had a few people in for ice cream and cake.  Watty gave him his (Watty's) half of the lawn mower for a present.  It was meant for a joke but was really a nice present.  Both of us were glad for the Mirror.  We'd really miss it if we didn't get it.

Horace called us Wednesday night and we were really relieved that B's dad's operation was over.  We had had a note from Rosalynn saying they weren't going to operate.  We haven't heard anymore. 

Now that my talks are over I can relax.  I really had to work hard on them but they turned out fine.

Pretzel was real sick yesterday.  I felt so sorry for him.  He chilled and looked so pitiful.  He must have picked up something outside that made him sick.  He's much better today but is tired tonight.  He has eaten real well today and been pretty gay.

Hope you get some of our warm rain.  Don't work too hard."

                         Lots of love,

                               Bonnie

NOTE:  It was the custom in the family to divide and share plants.  There are family members today who still have iris from the School St. garden.  There were always roses, peonies, lilacs, tulips, daffodils, lilies and all types and colors of iris in large quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!