Monday, June 10, 2013

September 24, 1955 Clean for the Moment, Looking Like Dolls, Modeling the Kimono and Attempting to Knit Mittens



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I've spent the week cleaning house.  I suddenly decided I couldn't stand my dirty rugs any longer.  While they were at the cleaners I cleaned the walls and woodwork.  Everything is back in place now and looks shiny and clean--at least for the moment. 

The picture Ann sent is of Sandy, the little girl next door.  She is red headed and just Ann's size.  They really make a pair.  Her mother is so good to Ann.  She took her to the beauty parlor with them and gave her a permanent.  Then the other day Sandy wouldn't let her shampoo her hair until she called Ann.  Ann went over and they both came home looking like dolls.


We went to two teas last weekend.  One was for new people in our department.  One of our new men went to school with Horace.  We knew that but I had never met him.  His wife recognized me but I didn't remember her.  We had classes at Springfield together.  I came home and got out the old yearbooks.  She has changed quite a bit but I can place her now.

The children and I are supposed to model our kimono in an international style show at the Y.W.C.A. in about three weeks.  It is a fund raising stunt.  Bob may back out.  He thinks he will do something and loses his nerve at the last minute.  Sunday School is still too much for him.

I'm going to attempt to knit mittens for the kids.  I've never knit mittens but I could do that during piano class.

There just isn't much to write this week so I'll just stop, I guess.

Hope you are both fine."

                      Lots of love,

                         Bonnie

NOTE:  In this week's Life,  September 26, 1955, Truman began his series of memoirs.  Pictured below is Harry in his Kansas City office.  Bonnie made several visits over the years to the Truman Library, one of her favorite presidential libraries.

It was recently announced that the Truman home, pictured above, is now open to the public only about 100 days per year due to "the sequester".




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!