Thursday, June 13, 2013

October 15, 1955 Tired of Shoveling Coal, Strong Enough to Float an Egg and A Pretty Full Date Book



 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We were glad you were pleased about the house.  It is only a week since we signed the contract but seems like a month.  We just have to wait, though.  Only a few people have been told but I'll be glad when we can tell it.  B just happened to meet the man who owns it today.  He has been moving things out of the house and getting it ready for us.  There was a stove and some dining room furniture besides boxes.

I'm so glad you are getting a furnace.  That will save so much hard work and dirt too.  That is one thing we're looking forward to.  We're tired of coal dust and shoveling coal.

The children are fine.  Ann has no signs of ever being sick but Bob still coughs a little and has a runny nose.  He probably will all winter.

I'm tired and sleepy tonight.  Last night was the fall supper for faculty women.  I drank coffee and it was strong enough to float an egg so I didn't go to sleep very easily.  I had to take a new faculty woman and see that she had a good time.  That was work too.

Images from Life, September 12, 1955

I cleaned house this morning and then Ann and I modeled in the Y.W.C.A. style show that I told you about long ago.  Ann was so good and I was so proud of her.  They had about 20 different areas to represent--from Alaska to Burma.  Some of the costumes were just beautiful.

I went to a meeting of second grade mothers Wed. afternoon and should have gone to one for Ann's room this afternoon.

Tomorrow night we are having a Japanese dinner party for some of our friends.  I think I mentioned that there was a Japanese professor hired here this year.  We have met him and like him.  He is coming as well as some other people.  He was real thrilled when we asked him how he'd like some Japanese food.  He came to America in 1949 and is working on a Ph.D. degree.  His father is a professor in Japan.

B and I are chairman of a P.T.A. group so we are having a committee meet here Tuesday night to do some planning for that.  We are getting everything out of the way that we can so when we do get possession of the house we can start moving.

Our date book is pretty full but I guess we'll get it done.

Hope you both are fine."

                  Lots of love,

                       Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!