Friday, October 12, 2012

October 25, 1952 Falling, Raking, Draining, Smattering and Can't Stay Awake


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The weather has been so wonderful this week that we've spent a lot of time outside.  The leaves are still falling and the children love to rake them.  Bob's cold is completely gone but Ann had such a good one that her head is still draining.  All the fresh air and exercise today has made me sleepy.  Toni and I took the children to the lake to play yesterday.  We gathered bright leaves and dried grasses and had a wonderful time.  I made a real pretty bouquet with them.

My green dress is just about done.  It has been such a chore to make.  The material is so slippery to sew on and the seams puckered so I've had a time with it.  I think it is going to be all right, though and look nice when I finally do finish it.  The nylon I ordered is real nice.  I was very pleased with it but it is sheer.  I got navy and may go ahead and make it one of these days.

We had only a smattering of snow.  It looked like a misty rain but was really snow.  It lasted for only a few minutes and then the sun came out.

I'm sorry about your eyes and hope you can get some help.

If any of the new cookie or cake recipes in Good Housekeeping sound extra good send me the recipe and I'll try it.  I don't take that magazine and can't keep up with the other three I do read--the Journal, McCalls & Companion.  I found a good sounding apple pie recipe made with a cheese cracker crumb crust but the cheese crackers cost too much so I'll probably throw it away.  My apple pie has raisins in it and is frosted.  I'll send you the recipe when Toni gives it back to me.  She borrowed my typed copy & it's too long to do over.  We still haven't got any good apples.

I just can't stay awake so will so goodnight and hope you are both fine."

                  Lots of love,

                         Bonnie

NOTES:  Bonnie must have been very tired to have written "so will so goodnight"!

In the national news, Truman is on the road, campaigning.

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlestop/study_collections/politicalcampaigns/index.php

2 comments:

  1. You look so happy sitting on the swing Ann :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! In spite of those very short bangs:-)

      Delete

I welcome your comments!