Sunday, October 14, 2012

November 15, 1952 Not in the Mood, Didn't Buy a Thing, Pretty Long Stay, A War Hero Who Doesn't Know Beans and Bobby Wants a Necktie


Bonnie and Mildred, HS friends in 1936

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The children are in bed and B has gone to the library to do some school work so it's quiet around here.  I need to wash my hair but I'm not much in the mood and may go to bed and read.

I have enrolled in an Adult Education class in Christmas cards and am going to try to make my own cards this year.  We're just getting started so I've been spending a lot of time trying to design what I want.

I had a letter from Mildred today.  She took some pictures when we were at Bernadine's but none of them came out.  She is wanting us to send some.  It has been so long since we took any I will be sorry someday.  We haven't hardly any pictures of Ann.

We haven't done much this week.  B was gone one day to Peoria County on school business and last night we went to the church bazaar but didn't buy a thing.

Bobby did go to Sunday School last Sunday and was fine.  B, Ann & I then went for church and I stayed in the nursery school with them.  It is a pretty long stay for Bob & he was tired but was all right.  I'm wondering if he will object to going this Sunday.

The weather has been pretty nice this week and we've had a little rain but it is still dry as powder everywhere.

It doesn't do any good, of course, to rehash the election now but I get sick in the bottom of my stomach every time I think of it and I cannot help it.  Why did the people choose a war hero, who doesn't know beans about anything but war, over one of the smartest and best educated men of our country?  Let's just hope that Eisenhower will be the best President we have ever had.

Ann looks like a doll in the velvet dress.  She is so proud of that dress it makes me ashamed that I haven't made more things for her.  Bobby is wanting a necktie now so I think we'll get him a dress shirt & tie as part of his Xmas.

So far we don't have measles but the time isn't up yet.  The kids next door have colds so we're staying clear of them.

My Xmas shopping is about finished.  We're not giving much but the drawing names didn't work at all.  I'm not going to give Francis Jr. & Ruth a gift but have something for the baby.  That's the way we always do Rosalynn's girls.  The list gets too long & you have to stop somewhere.  I don't think they would want to feel that we should be on their list.  By the time they give to each of their families that's enough.  What do Buddy & Bessie plan to do Xmas?  If they all come to your house Thanksgiving I guess they will come in the same car, wouldn't they?  If there should be room for you, why don't you go home with them & then B will come after you & you can stay a few days with us.  Or stay until we go home Xmas.  That would be nice for us even if it was rough on Daddy.  We'll probably be home Dec. 20.  You remember you did say you'd think about coming home with us Xmas.  B would have to drive to St. Louis after school or wait till Saturday.  You think about it and let us know.

Hope you are all fine."

                   Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

NOTE:  Eisenhower was the first presidential candidate to campaign with TV ads.  "The idea that you can merchandise candidates for high office like breakfast cereal is the ultimate indignity to the democratic process." -Democratic candidate Adlai Stevenson, 1956

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!