Thursday, October 18, 2012

January 24, 1953 Cleaning the House, Making a Cake, Getting the Flu, Embroidering the Shirt, Keeping Her Happy and Resting After the Celebration


 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The Sorensens were here last night so I spent yesterday cleaning the house and making a cake and never did get my letter written.  We always have a dessert and just sit and talk.  They are such good company of course, with all of their experiences to talk about.  They had some new records to play last night.  They are just getting their player together and hadn't heard these records.  They bought separate parts for their radio-player and then bought a cabinet something like yours.  B is going to help Woody put it all together.

B planned to go to Purdue University today with a group of men teachers to see a big basketball game but he is sick this morning.  He's had a cold and terrible cough for several days so I guess he has the flu.  The Doctors say it is hitting mostly adults here so maybe the children won't have it.

I'm still trying to finish Bob's cowboy shirt but there is so much  embroidery on it and I haven't much time to work on it.  I've got lots of sewing planned if I can only find the time.

This has been examination week at school so it has really been a busy one.  I went to the Education Wives Club meeting for the fir time in ages.  They usually meet at 1:30 in the afternoon but that is out for me.  This time they met at night.  B had a meeting too so Phyllis came to stay with the children and when B came home Ann was asleep on the couch in the living room.  She gets up almost every time we are gone.   Phyllis does real well with her and she gets better all the time.  They had popped corn that night.  I tell Phyllis to do anything that will keep her happy and if she stays awake it is all right.

Thursday night I went to a church club meeting.  It was the first time I had gone and I enjoyed it.

We are still resting up from the birthday celebration.  There were five children in all for dinner and then they played until about 4:00.  They were all so good and played so hard that everyone was very tired.  Monday morning I made fancy little cupcakes with a candle on each and Ann and I took them to kindergarten that afternoon.  Ann really felt big going to school.  She insisted upon taking a book to show the teacher and the teacher took the time to look at it with her.  Ann looked at everything in the room and the teacher showed her their playhouse.  They have all kinds of little furniture built for the little ones.  We all sat down at little tables and had milk and the cupcakes.  It was lots of fun and Ann really was thrilled.

A toy gun to go with the cowboy shirt?

Janis, standing, was not happy having to give up the seat closest to the cake as seen earlier.

David has been sick so we didn't go to Toni's for Lynn's birthday.

I just had a letter from Beulah and I was so glad to hear from her.

Thanks for the bread recipe.  No telling when I will make any but maybe soon.  I can't see that we have any more time now than before Xmas.  Beulah sent me Mabel's cake recipe and I want to try it, too."

                     Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!