Saturday, October 6, 2012

August 2, 1952 Through with the Dentist, Watty's Back, A Bushel of Tomatoes, Lime Pickles and Bread & Butter Pickles


Written by Bonnie's aunt,  the recipe for her Lime Pickles

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This has been such a busy week.  B and I have both been going to the dentist and with one of us going almost every day it has taken a lot of time.  We are all through now.

We had a real nice time at Bernadine's and the children were so good and had such fun.  It was terribly hot going down and I was sick all afternoon.  I drank a lukewarm coke on the way down there and I thing that must have made me sick.  It was nice to see them anyway and we were glad we went.  Ann had a fever this afternoon but seemed all right otherwise.

Toni and Watty and kids ate with us Tuesday evening.  He brought some nice things from Europe and seems so glad to be home.

We are having some school people in for supper Sunday night and I have to iron a tablecloth tonight.

I canned a bushel of tomatoes today--all except some to eat--and made some pickles.  Naomi (the girl who brings us eggs) brought me a lot of cucumbers and I made some lime pickles and some bread and butter pickles.  Her mother sent me the recipes and they are delicious.  The tomatoes were only $1.25.  I'd like to can more but can't see any time to do it.

We plan to come home next Sat. if all goes as we plan.  You and B's mother can decide where we'll eat supper but I think I told you we would stay out there.  It has been plain cold here at nights.  Is it hot there?  We'll see you soon."

               Lots of love,

                    Bonnie

Bread and Butter Pickles

Slice 4 qts. of cucumbers and 6 medium onions.  Add 3 cloves garlic and 1 sweet red pepper, sliced in strips.  Add 1/3 c. salt and cover with cracked ice or cubes, mix through and let stand 3 hours.   Drain.  Combine 3 c. vinegar, 5 c. sugar and 1-1/2 t. turmeric.  Pour over cucumbers and bring to a hard boil.  Pour into jars and can as usual.


Bonnie's Aunt Nora and Uncle Floyd, about 1920

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!