Tuesday, July 17, 2012

January 8 and 14, 1950 A Whole Meal, A Baby for Bea & Sully, Green Ankles, Sunshine at Last and Proud As Punch


Dear Mother, Daddy & Grandma,

"B & Bobby have gone to the grocery store to stock up on a few things.  We still have the chops and steak and haven't bought meat either.  It was all still frozen but the sausage and it was partly frozen.  I was afraid to keep it or the chicken very long so used them first and got two meals out of each.  The sausage was delicious and Bobby almost ate all of the first part I cooked.  I fixed a casserole you might try.  It is real good and is your whole meal.

Put a layer of sweet potatoes in the bottom of the baking pan.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Put a layer of sausage patties on that and then a layer of apple slices (I core whole apples and cut in 1/2 inch rings).  Sprinkle the apples with sugar and cinnamon.  Pour a tiny bit of water in so the potatoes won't stick and then bake about an hour, covered at 350.  It's good and easy.  The liver was real good too and we ate every bite of it.  It made two meals and I cooked it in the pressure cooker so it was real tender.  We're still enjoying the butter but it's going fast.

As soon as we got home we started getting invitations but accepted only one on Mon. night.  That was a small dinner and we took Bobby.  The people have a little boy a few months older than Bobby and they had a wonderful time.  We came home before 8:00 and enjoyed it but we felt like we needed to rest a while so are going to stay home.

B had his class in Springfield Wed. and that was the day we had the sleet storm.   We persuaded Jim to go with him so Bobby and I stayed with Eve and the kids for supper and till bedtime.  The streets are still like glass so we have stayed in except when B would take us in the car.

I bought one pair of shoes on sale and am real pleased.  They are dark brown suede with a high heel, quite plain with two narrow straps--very pretty.  I had to buy a bigger size this time as I thought I would.  They are 7-1/2 AAA and really fit.

I had a card from Thelma Craddock when I got home and she had another way home.  We also had an announcement from Bea and Sully.  They have a 9 lb. girl born Dec. 15!  You know they have a little boy almost 3 now.

My ankle will soon be well.  I hardly limp at all and took the bandage off Monday.  It is still sore to touch and hurts if I move it wrong but is now past the blue stage and is green now--almost my whole foot.  It is still bigger than the other one but I can tell a difference in it every day.

We had such a late breakfast that I haven't done much.  I must get the dishes washed before lunch though so better get to work."

                    Lots of love,

                         B, Bonnie & Bobby



January 14, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"At last we have some sunshine.  It has rained and poured till we're all sick of it.  Bobby is so tired of being in and Jim's kids and Lynn have had colds so there was no place to go play or no one to come but Rosemary.  She helped a lot, though.

B can't be home so much now, either.  The older man who also taught Philosophy finally had to give up so B and Jim now have his classes in addition to theirs.  It is only one each but adds a lot of work anyway.  I'm sure we've told you about him--he's too old to teach on salary, gets a pension from the state, but continued to teach without pay for several years after retirement.

I forgot to tell you that we put the little table in the hall for the telephone.  It fits fine and we're real pleased with it--so much better than the one we had there.

B has Bobby's radio-record player stand all finished except painting.  We are so pleased with it and Bobby is proud as punch.  I think I'll have him make some shelves for toys now.  He really enjoyed doing it.

I was surprised Grandma was gone but hope you are resting now instead of doing all the things you have neglected since she came.  Did you like the quilt material?  It was the best I could find so got a little extra to be sure there'd be enough.  All the rest had too big or too little patterns.

Aunt Nora & Uncle Floyd, 1927

How is Aunt Nora?  I hope Beulah and all of hers are all right.  I'll try to write before long."

                  Lots of love,

                         B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTES:   Truman once again reported that the "state of the Union continues to be good".  Issues addressed included foreign and domestic policy, health care and science, Social Security, the national budget and economic security, natural resources and as expected, securing a free and democratic peace in the world.  To read the text:  http://www.trumanlibrary.org/publicpapers/index.php?pid=572&st=&st1=

The top billboard hit in January, 1950 was Nat King Cole's Mona Lisa.  Watch if you'd like:



Uncle Floyd & Mary B. Underwood Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!