Monday, May 14, 2012

September 30, 1947 The Best Thing, The House is Started and Bonnie is Supported and Defrosting

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I just came in from my walk so will write you while I rest a bit.  This is a lovely morning--crisp but warm and sunny.  We've been having the  most wonderful weather but with killing frosts the last three nights.  The last of the vegetables are in the house now and we're really going to miss them when they are used up.  Richards gathered everything they could out of their garden and we went over Friday afternoon for some things.

Aggie has gone to Columbus for a week so I'm in the house all alone.  I really like it.

Bea and Sully came down Saturday and spent the day.  Their little boy is seven months old now and so big.  He's the best thing I ever saw and laughs a lot.  That was the first time we had seen him.

The publishing company wants to publish the dissertation but they will pay only part of the costs and want B to pay the rest.  They didn't say how much it would be so we are going to inquire into it further but doubt if anything will be done because we don't want to put a lot of money into it.  It is nice to know that it's worth publishing anyway.

I think you're getting the house built plenty cheap and am glad that it is started at last. 

The Dr. examined my back support and asked a lot of questions about the price, etc.  He said he liked to know about them for so many women asked him about them.  He thought it was fine.

I have my housecoat cut out and basted but have to be in the mood to sew.

I guess I had better get to work.  The breakfast dishes aren't even washed but I'm defrosting this morning and that's a big job.

Hope you're fine."

             Lots of love,

                 B & Bonnie


NOTES from Ann:  On September 30, 1947, Harry's letter to Bess expresses on-going Cold War concerns.  To read the entire letter, use the link:  http://www.trumanlibrary.org/exhibit_documents/index.php?pagenumber=1&titleid=208&tldate=1947-09-30%20&collectionid=marshallplan&PageID=-1&groupid=3440 

And for a full CIA report on the concerns about Italy:  https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/assessing-the-soviet-threat-the-early-cold-war-years/docs.html  See excerpts below.



3 comments:

  1. Ann, I am still laughing, this time as a 65 year old. Thanks for all the family history and how our parents were so close.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!