Sunday, May 13, 2012

September 15, 1947 The Stingy State, The Deserving Teachers, A Couple of Books, The Fine Knitting and Some Canning


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Today was supposed to be the first day of classes at the college but there are so many students they are still registering.  Classes are almost completely filled and the faculty doesn't know what to do with all of those who can't get what they need.  There are some new professors too, but the state is too stingy to provide enough.  The New Britain teachers finally got some raise.  We were all for them for they deserve it.  The college teachers don't expect to get very much. 

Today is a comfortable day but we have had some hot afternoons lately.

I can hardly wait to hear from you this week to know if you have finally started on the house!  B's mother thought it was to be started last Thurs. but so many things have happened all along that I expected something else to go wrong.


There was a reception at the college Friday night and there was a mob there.  I wore the blue dress for it is cool and comfortable now.  Afterwards we took the Rollins home and stayed a while to visit.  She is very nice.


My knitting is coming along fine.  I have a blue sweater ready to seam together and have started booties to match.  I bought some blue wool flannel to make a housecoat so will be sewing on that when the mood strikes me.  I've read a couple of books lately, too-- Pearl Buck's Pavilion of Women and The Foxes of Harrow.   Both were good.


I feel just like my old self and hope I keep feeling as good.  You remember I kept having a catch in my back when we were home.  That was getting worse so the Dr. had me get a support and it has helped wonderfully.

I've done some canning--nine pints of tomatoes and have 9-1/2 pints of tomato preserves.  We gave .80 for a half bushed and I could have canned more than the 9 pts. if I had used them right away.  About half of them had bad places so I made juice out of the pieces--2-1/2 quarts and we're drinking that for breakfast.  The preserves have been made from tomatoes Richards have given us.

Hope you are all fine and that the house is started."

                                             Lots of love,

                                                        B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  For a synopsis of the Pavilion of Women use this link: http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/pavilion-of-women  Bonnie read much of Pearl S. Buck's work over a lifetime.

And for multiple reviews of The Foxes of Harrow, considered a bit risque at the time:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Foxes-Harrow-1st-Edition/dp/B000E0DTQ8

In the news, there was continuing discussion of the growing problems in the Middle East.  For an interesting chronology of Sept. and Oct., 1947:   http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlestop/study_collections/israel/large/index.php?action=chrono#1947

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!