Tuesday, May 15, 2012

October 14, 1947 The Blue Housecoat, The Curl, The Tooth, The Feet, Tim Suen Yoke and Sai See Gai

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's bedtime, but I want to be sure and have this ready to mail in the morning.  I've been sewing on my housecoat today and will send you a sample if I don't forget to put it in.  I'm finishing all the seams and ran out of thread so had to stop until B can bring me some from town.  It's going to be real nice and warm.

I've had two letters from Beulah lately but haven't answered them yet.  She sent me one of Jerry's curls.  It made me sort of gulp when I saw it but I'm glad they have cut his hair.

We were go glad you told us how B's mom was for we haven't heard very much from any of them.  I guess they just haven't time when they spend so much time with her.

We had a little dinner party Friday night--just one couple, the Rollins.  It was real nice and wasn't hard to do for I didn't do anything that day but get ready for the dinner.

Thursday I went to the Faculty Wives tea and wore my black dress.  B told me I looked pretty several times so I guess it looked fine.  It wrinkles too easily is the only trouble.


Saturday was a beautiful day and we had a pleasant trip to New Haven.  The dentist x-rayed my tooth and I'm going back this Sat. to have it ground down and the impressions made.  Then it will be another week before the tooth will be finished.  We had a nice Chinese lunch and I bought some oxfords.  They cost me $9. which sure hurt but they are Lady Nettletons and should last two or three years. They are perfectly plain brown ones with a walking heel like I always wear at home.  My feet are like yours and take a combination so I never can find cheap shoes. 

Yes, Mary Lee is having a baby in April, I think it is, and then there is Margaret U. Warren and Lois Jean Parsons.  You're behind times!

Inlaid linoleum would certainly be nice but you better be pretty choosy for that will last a lifetime and won't be changed.  The marbleized is my favorite for it doesn't show dirt and you can get it in any color.  The solid colors would show every foot print.  Red wouldn't be any louder than green and you choose your own color so you'll be satisfied for you'll have to look at it.  Bye for now with lots and lots of love."

                 B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Nettleton was a popular brand of men's shoes, made in Syracuse, NY.  The women's styles were mostly sensible, sturdy and basic.  The factory closed in 1984.  From the company history:  The question: "What did Black Jack Pershing, the Wright Brothers, Lucky Lindy and Teddy Roosevelt have in common?"

The answer: "They all wore Nettleton shoes made in Syracuse."



And about Chinese food:  B & Bonnie would seek out the best Chinese restaurant in every city they ever visited, usually managing to find the ones considered to be of the authentic hole-in-the-wall variety.  Most required patrons to duck behind heavy curtains into some dark back room or walk through a Chinese grocery first to a restaurant upstairs.

Bonnie's Tim Suen Yoke (Sweet & Sour Pork)

Make a batter with 1/2 c.  flour, 2 eggs and 1 tsp. salt. Cut 1 lb. lean pork into 1" cubes, dip into batter and fry in deep, hot oil for 10 min.  Remove and drain on paper.  Place in frying pan and add 1 c. pineapple chunks, 6 small sweet pickles, sliced (about 1/2 cup), 1 green pepper cut into 1" squares,  3 small carrots, sliced (about 1 cup), 1/4 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove fresh, minced, and 1/2 c. hot water.  Cover & cook for 10 min.  Blend together 2 T vinegar, 1-1/2 T sugar, 1 T Chinese molasses (brown gravy sauce), 1 T cornstarch and 1/2 c. water.  Add to meat mixture and cook 5 min. more.  Serve over steamed rice.

Bonnie's Sai See Gai  (Chicken Salad)

Gently combine  1 med. head shredded lettuce, 2 green onions, chopped, 4 c. cooked shredded or chopped chicken and 1/4 c. chopped parsley.  Mix together the dressing:  6 T soy sauce, 1 T sugar, 1 T honey and 2 T vegetable oil.  Just before serving, add fried noodles and toss.  Top with 1 c. sliced, toasted almonds and 1 T toasted sesame seeds.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!