Monday, May 7, 2012

May 20, 1947 Burned to a Crisp, The Blooming Trees, High Heels, High Cotton, The Telephone and Lunch Sandwiches


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Another gloomy day but it is at least warmer than it has been.  Yesterday was so nice.  The sun was really strong but so was the wind.  I spent most of the day outside and today my arms and legs are quite pink.  The breeze was so cool I didn't realize I was getting so much sun.  We took our supper and drove to a little park to eat.  It was fun and there were lots of people out even if it was chilly.  Things here must be lots later than at home.  Much of the dogwood is still green.  There are two huge lilac bushes in the yard and they are just beginning to bloom.  Apple trees are beginning to bloom too but aren't all out yet.

B is studying at home this morning.  There aren't any classes on Tuesday mornings but there usually is a committee meeting of some kind.

I'm glad you got you some shoes.  I don't need any and I'm certainly glad for they are so high now.  Red Cross shoes are 2 and 3 dollars higher than they were when I bought my last ones. 

www.myoldads.com
I don't know what kind of dress I'm going to make--it won't be done for the Yale reception anyway.  I had seen some polka dot crepe that I thought would be nice and went back to look at it but it wasn't as nice as I thought and was 1.95 a yard.  That was too much so I'm still looking.  Dress materials are much higher.  That wash crepe I bought for you is now 1.00 to 1.59 a yard and cottons are all 1.00 or more.  It scares me to look at the prices.

I'm anxious for you to get the house started.  Urshel Walls must have had his head in the clouds when he made his bid.  Perhaps you could save some by waiting a while to build but why spend that in rents and inconvenience?  And besides, who really knows whether you could save anything or not?

B went to Richards Saturday to get some jugs to put his anti-freeze in and they sent me a beautiful bunch of apple blossoms and some pansies.  The apple blossoms are all gone now but the pansies are good for another day or so.

The college is having its spring concert Thursday night and then we go to New Haven Friday afternoon.  The Swanns gave us tickets to a play Friday night so you see we're going to be busy those two days.  The faculty dinner is Monday night.

We're supposed to have our telephone by Saturday but it doesn't look like they are going to bring it.  It will be good to have our own telephone again.

It's getting close to lunch time so bye for now."

                    Lots of love,

                          B & Bonnie

Crunchy Cheese Rolls

Mix together 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 1 c. chopped celery, 1/2 c. chopped black olives, 1/2 c. chopped almonds, 3 tsp. mayo., 1 tsp. mustard and 2 T horseradish.  Serve spread on dinner rolls.

Dried-Beef & Cheese Sandwich Spread

Mix together & chill thoroughly, 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 3 oz. cream cheese, softened, 1/4 c. minced green pepper, 1 T grated onion, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder and 2-1/2 oz. very finely chopped dried beef.  Add a small quantity of milk, about 1/3 cup, a little at a time until you reach the desired spreading consistency.  Serve on good rye or French bread.  (Dried beef can be substituted with crisp, crumbled bacon or finely chopped salami.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!