Monday, May 21, 2012

January 5, 1948 Much Fun Doing Nothing, Plenty of Company, A Big Laugh and Nothing Like Homemade Mincemeat


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It was a surprise to get your letter yesterday.  We are both fine and as yet there is no reason to believe that I'll be going to the hospital soon.  I have the usual appointment for Wednesday and am anxious to see what he says.

Have you heard anymore from Bernadine?  What is wrong this time?  It seemed like she was fine last summer.

B has to go back to school tomorrow.  We dread it and I guess I'll be plenty lonesome for awhile.  We have had so much fun just doing nothing.  Last Monday night we went to Rollins' for supper and had a grand time.  She is crippled quite badly with arthritis and it is hard for her to do things.  It's in her hands, back and knees.  She had a very ordinary supper of Yankee pot roast and it was all delicious.  The Richards were over one afternoon just to visit and the Swanns were out one evening.  Of course, Karl and Aggie are up everyday so we've had plenty of company.

B got the chest all painted and it looks real nice.  We have the baby's things all put away and the basket all ready.  I wish you could see the baby book that Virginia Rose sent us.  It is a life time record book and if we can keep it up to date it will be wonderful.  The baby had a gift in almost every package we got.  Granny Gibson sent a tiny doll with a crocheted dress and bonnet.  We got a big laugh out of it.

I'm mailing the shirt back.  I'm sorry to have to do it.  You needn't be in any big hurry about getting the right size--15-1/2 collar 34 sleeve.  He was hoping he'd get some shirts for Xmas.  I hadn't thought of a dress out of the plaid.  There probably wouldn't be enough with the new full skirts but there is oodles for any kind of blouse.

I'm so glad that Neva has her baby.  She certainly had courage to have this one.

Beulah wrote about all the good hamburger and steaks they've been having.  You tell her to save enough mincemeat for me a pie next summer.  There's nothing like home-made mincemeat.  I haven't done much of anything since Xmas--not even cook.  We baked a small shoulder and I made a huge bowl of potato salad so B's meals are easy to fix.  I can't eat either of them so I eat canned spinach and such.

I've been crocheting on my tablecloth again but don't expect to get it finished very soon.  Ha!

Try not to worry.  It will all be over soon and you will know as quickly as B can send a wire.  We can hardly wait.  Won't it be wonderful?"

              Lots of love,

                    B & Bonnie



Mincemeat from the Compendium of Cookery, 1890 (Bonnie's Mother's Cookbook)



 Bonnie's Meatless Mincemeat

 Mix together about 5 c. chopped, peeled apples, 1 c. dark raisins, 1 c. golden raisins, 1/4 c. chopped candied orange peel, 1/4 c. chopped candied lemon peel, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1-1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar, 2 T butter, 1 T cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. allspice, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1-1/2 c. water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.  Stir often.  Add about 1/4 c. dark rum and simmer 10 min. or until liquid is almost evaporated.  Cool & chill in airtight container at least 24 hrs. before using for pie or cookie filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!