Tuesday, May 22, 2012

January 12, 1948 Haven't Done Anything, Haven't Been Anywhere, Waiting and Wondering, Reading and Crocheting


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It has really been cold the last few days and the wind was just awful yesterday.  It is supposed to be a little warmer tomorrow.  We still have lots of snow but it is all cleared off the highways and most of the city streets.

We haven't done anything very interesting all week and haven't been anywhere except shopping one afternoon and Hartford on Wednesday as usual.  I got me a new coat sweater.  It is a soft gray and quite nice.  The elbows were completely out on my brown one and I wear a sweater most of the time.  I can't stand from my arms to be the least bit cool.  All the stores are having January sales now on coasts, dresses, etc. but I'm not interested in clothes yet.

I guess Beulah told you what Dr. January said last Wednesday.  We keep hoping I won't have to keep this week's appointment but probably will.  It isn't that I feel bad or am very uncomfortable.  It's just the waiting and wondering everyday if that will be the one.  I have everything done that I planned so I don't do anything much but read and crochet.  That's gets boring after awhile.  We washed yesterday so I have an ironing to do tomorrow which will help pass the time.  Since the big storm I haven't got to walk much for they didn't clean the streets and now they're slippery.

Bea and Sully were here for a little while this afternoon.  They had been to her folks in Darien over the weekend so stopped by.  We were so glad to see them.  Their little boy is certainly sweet and so good.

We had a letter from Bessie this week but she didn't have much to say.

There just isn't any news so bye for now."

                  Lots of love,

                          B & Bonnie


NOTES from Ann:  In the news on Jan. 12, 1948 was the Supreme Court decision that Ada Lois Sipuel, formerly denied admission to the University of Oklahoma because of race, was entitled to admission to the law school and an education equal to that available to whites.  It would be 2 years after her initial application that she would finally be admitted.   For an excellent summary of the decision and biography, see:  http://crdl.usg.edu/collections/sipuel/?Welcome

Also in the world news, Gandhi began a hunger strike is response to unrest and rioting between Muslims and Hindu factions.  India had become an independent state following partitioning with Pakistan.  Communal violence in major cites caused significant destruction and many deaths.  This would be Gandhi's last successful fast for peace.
See:  http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/enc_gandhi_mohandas_karamchand_1869_1948/


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!